Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sight in procedure? >

Sight in procedure?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sight in procedure?

Old 03-23-2010, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default Sight in procedure?

I have a Knight Revolution and a T/C Encore that I will be scoping and sighting in the next few weeks. I will be putting a Nikon Omega 3x9 scope on both guns. My question is, what zoom level should I use to sight in? I haven't sighted a gun in years and usually just practice at the zoom level I hunt at, which is normally wide open since I hunt wooded areas. Should I zoom all the way out for a more precise aim at 100 yards? Does zooming have any affect on the POI?

I should mention, I will get the scopes bore sighted and will start at 25 yards before moving to 100. I also plan to take along several bullet/sabot combinations to find the one that works the best. I will also be getting a Lead Sled rifle rest too.

Last edited by ADVWannabee; 03-23-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

With a really good scope like a Nikon I sight in at the highest power. What I would do is check the sight in with out the lead sled as they some times do not shoot the same POI that you get off hand in a hunting situation.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

For load development, use the highest power you got. Many times when developing a load I will use a 6-20 leupold to remove most of the "lower" power scope error. Once I find a load that shoots good, I install my hunting scope and resight in and start practicing with the lower power settings.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know some may dissagree with me on this but I usually sight in on what Power I will use most for Hunting. On a Variable Scope say 3X9 I will use 5 Power. I found that if you use your highest Power say 9 Power that it will show every little bit of your movement even wheen you think your holding still, and this movement will drive you crazy trying to hold still and get sighted in. And as Lemoyne siad above do this off a Lead Sled as your POA may be different. Yes a Sled will hold the ML still for a sight in at 9 Power, but will you be able to hold it as still as the Lead Sled if you have it on 9 Power, probably not. So do it as you would in a normal Hunting situation. Once sighted in at a medium Power then try a higher Power. Good Luck!
(BP)
Old 03-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I personally use the highest power on the scope. And like you, I start at very close ranges until I have a load that will shoot a hole basically. Then I just walk it back, 50, 75, 100, etc.

I sight the scope in for the distance I am most likely to encounter or need. Although I admit in my case I like to sight in at 75 yards, but seldom if ever have to shoot that far. I just found that the distance in POI was so slight, I figured it was an advantage SHOULD I ever have to make a longer shot.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use Leupolds and sight in at 9 power, then check at 6 powder or so, never noticed a difference...

One other thing I do when sighting in is I clean between each shot...Usually 2-3 moistened alcohol patches, both sides...Then a dry patch, then a lightliy oiled patch and another dry patch...This is how the barrel will be with my first shot so I want to duplicate those conditions...

In the field I carry a ziplock bag with patches in it...I put some alcohol in a Visine container and clean with 2 patches, a dry patch, an oiled patch and another dry one between shots in my inline...Once you get the system down you can be reloaded in 2 minutes...
Old 03-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
One other thing I do when sighting in is I clean between each shot...Usually 2-3 moistened alcohol patches, both sides...Then a dry patch, then a lightliy oiled patch and another dry patch...This is how the barrel will be with my first shot so I want to duplicate those conditions...
Great idea, thanks!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
IOne other thing I do when sighting in is I clean between each shot...Usually 2-3 moistened alcohol patches, both sides...Then a dry patch, then a lightliy oiled patch and another dry patch...This is how the barrel will be with my first shot so I want to duplicate those conditions.
I now clean after every shot even though I'm shooting Blackhorn powder that doesn't need to be cleaned between shots. I too want to duplicate how the gun shoots when it is loaded in the field.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I foul the barrel w/ 3 primer shots prior to shooting. I get better tighter groups w/ BH209 on a fouled barrel.