Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bought a new TC Encore Pro Hunter, now what? >

Bought a new TC Encore Pro Hunter, now what?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bought a new TC Encore Pro Hunter, now what?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

Talking Bought a new TC Encore Pro Hunter, now what?

I just bought a TC Encore Pro Hunter with the 209x50 barrel and can't wait to shoot it. I am planning to get the Nikon Omega BDC 250 scope in camo to match the stock. What I am not sure about are the rings. I like the idea of the DedNutz and Talley one piece rings; what do you guys think of those?

Also, how picky are these guns with bullets and loads? I want to set it up for a 250 gr sabotted bullet with 100 grains (2x50 gr pellets). What kind of group at 100 yards should I expect? If I don't get the group, then I assume I should try different powders and bullets?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

I had a prohunter but sold it and bought a Bone Collecter. The one piece scope mount is ok. But I bought a steel base and steel scope rings. Good choice on the Nikon Omega scope. As for powder I would use loose powder instead of pellets. You have more options to find the exact measurment that your rifle likes. Buy Blackhorn209 and start off at 80grains and work your way up. As for a bullet everyone has there own opinion (just dont use the hornady SST bullets they don't hold up). Get some good fitting sabots. BH209 likes a tight sabot. I use the harvester crush rib sabots. Really with a ProHunter you should get 1" group at hundred yards. I never had good luck with the prohunter but I know alot of people like them. Just find what works with your rifle. Alot of people use the mmp sabots too. You'll just have to experiment. Thats half the fun!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

Anyone else? I am especially interested in getting input on which scope rings to go with.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Anyone else? I am especially interested in getting input on which scope rings to go with.

Thanks.
The one piece Talley has worked fine for me. I do prefer the Warne steel bases and rings.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Warne solid one piece base, with the Warne rings. The distance between the screw holes on an Encore is short. the one piece Warne base stretches out the base and gives you considerably more scope adjustment on the rifle.

I wish you luck with your Encore MZ. I tried two barrels before I gave up on them. I really like my Encores, but not the 209X50.

Below is a pretty good picture of the Warne system. And a length comparison between the Warne and the Leupold. Tom.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mine will shoot a number of loads under a minute of angle. It take the right sabot for a particular bullet for instance the long black harvester [300gr+] is what it takes along with 110gr of Blackhorn to shoot the 250 gr Gold Dot well, the Short Black Harvester does real well with the 250 gr Shock Wave, the FTX and the bonded Shock Wave, The blue MMP shoots the 200 gr Lehigh and the 200gr Shock Wave with a 140 gr load of BH The long black harvester and the 300gr Gold Dot do very well with 115 gr of BH. I have never seen a gun that shot every thing real well you have to refine what any gun likes and with a sabot muzzle loader I personally start with getting the right sabot by loading a 100gr load of BH and a Winchester primer and use that for a constant while I try all the different sabots that fit the barrel reasonable well when I find the thickness of sabot the gun likes the I try all the sabots that are available with the different bullets I want to use.
As a for instance on how that works I use my Triumph which likes the MMP HPH 24 which is the same thickness as the Short Black Harvester and the long black Harvester which shoot so well in my Endeavor Encore. Due to the variation in barrel dimensions the first thing is finding out what fits well enough to have a good chance of working. If they are so hard to load you want to beat on them or they go down so easy that you don't need both hands then they probably wont shoot good.