Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
OK guys riddle me this? >

OK guys riddle me this?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OK guys riddle me this?

Old 03-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default OK guys riddle me this?

I was out shooting my 32 cal Cherokee and 45 Cal Hawken (GM LRH barrel) today. I had the 32 sighted in dead on at 25 yds and the Hawken at 50 yds.
I had an old 10" fry pan out at 75 yds with a 1" orange dot for an aiming point. I shot one shot from each rifle at this pan and both hit within an inch of each other left and right and both were exactly 5" high. I mightg have expected that from the 45 but figured the 32 would be low using only 30 gr of FFFf.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

While you are not shooting a lot of powder, you are also not shooting a lot of ball weight. How many did you try at that distance.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Heck Dave - only one. With the 32 I ran out of FFFg (shot it a lot today). And I only shot one with the 45 too. But they both hit the same height.
I was confident with both shots and curious as to why they went so high!
Next time out, I am going to sight in at 75 yds, then shoot at 50 and 25 to see what results I get.