Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sunday in the Rock Pit... >

Sunday in the Rock Pit...

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sunday in the Rock Pit...

Old 03-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Sunday in the Rock Pit...

It was a beautiful day today and I could not resist the draw to go shooting....

Headed out about 8:30am with the first stop being at the Troy/Deary Trap club... I just shot 2 rounds this morning, breaking 48 of 50 - which is really good for me because everybody tells me that I shoot a shot gun like a rifle instead of a shot gun - guess that is a problem...

Loaded up and head to Little Boulder Rock Pit to get some testing in. I do not like to shoot in the rock pit as much anymore because SOME people (I guess i have to call them people) leave it is such a mess after they shoot. They drag all kinds of trash in to shoot them leave it... But, back to the point I really wanted to test my latest modification of a new Lehigh BP.

My goal, and I do not know if it is going to work, is to create a modification that I can shoot in all of my DISC's with any primer and consider it better than 90% clean. Todays effort i would grade 98% clean. The only negative experiance came when shooting the Fed 209A's - the primers backed out of the battery cup in to the bolf face... This increased the length of the primer from the rim to the top of the primer and with out any play in the Primer Adapter they could not roll out as all the rest did.

No target pictures but I do have a collection of pictures I would like to share.

But! the best part of the day for me was when another vehicle came up the road to the rock pit and slowed to look. I stood up to recognize the folks in the van and the driver rolled the window down. I asked him if he was looking to get some shooting in and if he was we could certainly share the area.

He pulled in a parked then he and his young daughter exited the van. She attends a local elementary school here in Moscow and after listening to her father they were here to give his daughter here first lesson in shooting.... ABSOLUTELY GREAT!!! Shucks I would have been happy just to let them do all the shooting they wanted. He started off offering her all the things about safety and how to work the rifle and pistol they were going to shoot. All the time they were shooting he was reassuring her how to... plus making sure she was understanding the safety aspects. i was surprised when she chose to shoot the rifle first - it was not a 22 but a larger bore centerfire.... remember this was her first shot taken.... the first shot went well, really well and I think she might have been hooked.

The point is how great of experiance is this father/daughter bonding using an activity that some consider second rate. This young lady was gaining a valuable experiance that a lot do not and the best part it was with her father.... teaching her the right thing.... I could have sat there all day and just watched!

Way to go dad!

Last edited by sabotloader; 03-07-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Nice report and pics ! Great news about the Lehigh B/P. Looks like a winner
Old 03-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice report Mike! Im glad everyone is getting in some shooting with the nice weather, and that Knight sure looks CLEAN after your Mods, you did a good job!
Yea I remember back when My Daughter was 11 or mabey 12, back befor BOY's entered the picture. We used to shoot togeather, go Scouting togeather and she even sat by me in my Treestand when Hunting...........then the BOY's came and off she went!!!!!!!!!!!! I Treasure those times but I cant compete anymore with her Boyfriend, My Future (Son-in-Law)
Sure we get out (Once in awhile) and do some shooting but it's not like it was Befor the Boy's!!!!!!! And NO all your Guns and Ammo wont scare them away if you have a girl, they'll keep comming!LOL, So Treasure your times togeather as they wont last forever, nothing does.
(BP)
Old 03-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader

Thanks for the pictures of the father and daughter out shooting. It brings back memories. Ah yes then comes the boys and your little girl has another man in her life.
It looks like your experiment is real sucessful at keeping the Knight clean congrats.