Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Question about fiber optic sights and Williams Peep >

Question about fiber optic sights and Williams Peep

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question about fiber optic sights and Williams Peep

Old 03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question about fiber optic sights and Williams Peep

I've been debating with myself whether to buy a Peep sight, (probably a Williams peep), or a scope. This would be for my CVA Kodiak.

Any good or bad experience with the Williams peep?

And my other question has to do with the front fiber optic sight. When it gets bright, all I see is a blur. Do they make something that the brightness can be adjusted? Otherwise I was thinking about putting a piece of tape to cover it in bright conditions...

Last edited by wildchild04; 03-02-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

A Williams peep sight was mounted on my Accura. It has been reliable, and accurate so far. I guess, one could say it works.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 AM
Spike

I have williams WGRS peeps on a few of my White's. I have some with the gold bead and some with the fire site. I like the gold bead for target as it has a smaller diameter and the firesite for hunting as it is always easy to get the site picture if I am in the sun or the shade. I also have the new firesite ghost ring, I am not sure on this site yet I have not used it enough yet. The Williams peep is very durable and has not failed me yet.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Williams peep on my 3006 Savage and it is dead on. The site and gun have been in service since 1967 and still going strong. Getting a scope depends on the range you will be shooting at and if you you hunt in low light conditions. For me any shot over fifty yards, and at dawn and dusk I will be using a scope (the ol eyes aren't as good as they used to be). You will have to judge on weather to get peep sight or scope. My 06 has a side mount scope with the Williams Peep sight so I have the best of both worlds.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

A Peep is the best of iron sights. No non optical sight can compare with a scope for ranges over 50 yds. Personally I stay away from the fiber optic sights they change in apparent size with light changes witch changes my POI some since I am an old competition shooter I do not like that. As far as the over glow is concerned it can be over come by using a sliding shield that controls some what the amount of light reaching the sight.
If you wear glasses you will find that a scope is your best option, a low power scope that gathers a lot of light with a large front lens is very good for hunting. If you like a variable the 2 X7 X 40 is good for both the range and hunting. A scope designed for muzzle loading is best if you use the heavier loads like I like. Lee
Old 03-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Banned

if you want to be able to adjust the brightness, you'll want the truglo front globe sight.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

I just remembered that Williams Gun Sight makes fire sights as well as peep sights. I don't know if all fire sights are the same, so you might want to investigate changing front sights. I was in Williams the other day and the salesman told me that Willams makes fire sights for TC mls. You might want look at the sights on a TC and see if there is any difference. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can Hunt with a Scope than I'd use a Scope over open sights anyday, unless all your shots are 50yds and under. Or do what I do, I use (See thru Scope Mounts) I have the option to use Open Sights if need be or the Scope, this way you have the Best of both worlds.
(BP)
Old 03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you don't want the bulk of a scope mounted on your rifle then a peep is very accurate. I have a Williams peep on my Win 94 and my Marlin 1895 and I find them easy to use and very accurate. I also recently installed a tang peep on my Hawken but have yet to try it because of mechanical issues with my lock.
As for your fiber optic sight issue, the Williams Fire Sights are the same fiber optics (GM puts them on their ML barrels). Most of us older guys have trouble with the front sight blurring out. I've found a little trick to stop that and that is to put a light coat of white out or white fingernail polish on the side closest to you. Only a light coat though. This reduces the glare but enough light is emitted through it to be bright in low light.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have a williams on my genesis and its a good sight, but I was looking at the truglo one that devil has for my bone collector, but i was scared that the big front loop would screw me up somehow or effect visibility? does it?
I also shoot a williams peep on my deer rifle and it has also been good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.