Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Finaly Bought My First ML >

Finaly Bought My First ML

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finaly Bought My First ML

Old 03-02-2010, 04:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Danny congratulations on the new rifle. It sounds like you made a good choice for yourself. I should warn you, this is just the beginning. Soon you will be like Semisane with all his sisters and cousins hanging on the wall.

Keep is posted on how well it shoots for you. I am sure you will be pleased.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats. Sounds like you made a good choice. CVA makes a greatgun and you should be impressed with the Accura.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

gman
Thanks for the congrats. Both stocks fit me well and I could have went with either one. At the time of purchase the thumb hole stock was on sale so I went for it. CVA has their new models out maybe a good time for you to get a thumb hole stock.

Art
Thanks for the congrats.

Bronko
I am sure I will finding her pet load espically since my cpw class included a free range pass.Thanks for the cleaning tips. I can't use my wifes tooth brush it's made out of 30 grit sandpaper lol.

Matt
I am planning on haveing more fun than should be allowed. It's a great thing you and your son enjoy shooting and haveing fun together.

cayugad
Thanks for warning regarding the semisane ml buy more bug. My only saveing grace is I have 4 lbs of firearms fitting into 3 lbs of storage space and no room to expand the storage space.

Marshal
Thanks for the congrats.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Choice! I know what else would a CVA Shooter say.......In all seriousness you'll be Pleased with the ACCURA, especially how easiley the SS Barrel cleans up. I just give er a soap and water bath with a few brush strokes and she's clean, followed by a couple of dry patches then some (Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner) in the barrel and your good to go.
Make sure you remove the (firing pin) after each shooting session also, give it a good cleaning and a light coating of oil to keep her free and working good. This may be your only problem with the (Arthur) getting the firing pin screw assembly screwed back in, and be careful not to lose any of the parts, the firing pin housing screw, the spring and firing pin.
I know you may have already selected a load and bullet combo, right? if not here;s my 2 Cents. I have owned CVA MLer's for about 20 years, and I found they really really like the Hornady 240gr XTP Mag's I get 1" groups at 100yds and 1 1/2" groups at 200 yds with them. I buy them with the sabots in a 30Pk made by (TC) from Cabela's. I know there a little more expensive this way $13 a Box, but they work and there a lot less expensive then some of the TC's and Barne's. But the biggest reason I use them is because there Deadly on Game! I have never lost a animal using them.
Now for Powder choice...with your (Arthur) Lose Powder may give you a problem, but I hope not. In My 3 ACCURA's I use 110gr's of Pyro RS and either a Win W 209 Primer or a T7 Primer, this has given me execptional accuracy and perfect knockdown power.
If lose powder is a problem for loading with your (Arthur) I have also tried and used (2) 50gr. Pyro Pellets, 100gr's. The 2 Pellets have also given me just as good of accuracy as the lose powder.
I at one time did use a (Mag Load) 3-50gr Pellets out of the ACCURA, but I was saraficing accuracy and the recoil was a bit harsh. (Sabotloader) talked me into going with the Lose Powder and since then I will never go back to Pellets. But if for some reason I ran out of Powder and was in a bind the 2-Pellets would do just fine.
I have never tried a lesser load of Powder in the ACCURA's as I like a Stout Load, with the 110gr's the ACCURA shines, so I left it at that. Im sure going down to 90 or so grains would'nt be too bad either if the 110 is too much, but with the groups Im getting with 110, Im staying there. Oh, 1 of My ACCURA's is set up with 105gr's of Lose Pyro RS Powder too, and it likes it.
I had to throw in my 2-Cents for ya because I've had a-lot of experience with the ACCURA's, hope some of this helps you. Let us know what you decide on for a load and how she shoots.
Best of Luck to you and feel free to ask us all for further help.
(BP)
Old 03-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

BP

Thanks for the info. You saved me a post. The loose powder shouldn't be a problem. I will try it and like you said there is the pellets to fall back on. The fireing pin becomes an issue I will get my better half to work on it. Cabella's is about 50 miles away from me, does Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, carry the Montana X-Treame products? Reasone I ask is mail order can get fussy shipping oils, solvents, etc.
As far as using mag loads, it's nice to have the capaibilty but I will stick with what works for you experienced MLers. You gave me the load, bullet, and cap you use for hunting. N.Y. hunting has to be simular to Michigans so what works for you should work for me. The range I will be using is closed right now but will be opening back up soon and when it does I will hopefully have some results.

Thanks for your knowlege and advice
Danny
Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dburns51
BP

Thanks for the info. You saved me a post. The loose powder shouldn't be a problem. I will try it and like you said there is the pellets to fall back on. The fireing pin becomes an issue I will get my better half to work on it. Cabella's is about 50 miles away from me, does Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, carry the Montana X-Treame products? Reasone I ask is mail order can get fussy shipping oils, solvents, etc.
As far as using mag loads, it's nice to have the capaibilty but I will stick with what works for you experienced MLers. You gave me the load, bullet, and cap you use for hunting. N.Y. hunting has to be simular to Michigans so what works for you should work for me. The range I will be using is closed right now but will be opening back up soon and when it does I will hopefully have some results.

Thanks for your knowlege and advice
Danny
No Cabela's does'nt sell Montana Products. I get mine from (Natchez) 1-800-251-7839. No problem getting them in the mail, it's fine. Or go to www.natchezss.com I use both the Montan X-Treme Bore Conditioner and Gun Oil.
Good Luck Danny and let us know how she shoots when you get to the range.
(BP)