Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Homemade Range Sand Bags or Rest? >

Homemade Range Sand Bags or Rest?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Homemade Range Sand Bags or Rest?

Old 02-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
As the other guys have said, old tube socks filled with sand or rice works very well. I like sand better if you don't have to carry the bags too far. Rice is a lot lighter.

Here are a couple of suggestions. If you use sand, put one of those plastic grocery bags in the sock, then fill it with sand. Tie of the plastic bag with a piece of string, then tie off the sock. You might try constricting the center of the tube with a piece of string also, so to make them look like a bow tie. They hold the gun a little better that way. Also, get yourself a piece of old carpet and cut a bunch of ten inch squares to put under the sock bags. You can add or subtract carpet squares from the front or rear bag to adjust the hold exactly the way you want it.
Thats to funny i use carpet pieces to raise and lower my bags to correct height..
Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thats to funny i use carpet pieces to raise and lower my bags to correct height..
Besides that Builder, they make a handy pad to put between the buttstock and the shoulder when you shoot a load that's a real kicker. Really reduces felt recoil.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Besides that Builder, they make a handy pad to put between the buttstock and the shoulder when you shoot a load that's a real kicker. Really reduces felt recoil.
Lol,the triumph has a marshmello type recoil pad that is cushy.with my old .54 renegade i used a slip on pad when at the range...
Old 02-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shucks, Renegades don't hardly kick at all. My .54 with patched balls and 85 grains of GOEX is a pu$$ycat.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bring a blanket with me to lay on the table to keep from scratching everything up. I have been known to tuck the end of that blanket between my shoulder and the stock a time or two when shooting big ol' conicals I enjoy being able to use my shoulder the next day too much.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shucks, Renegades don't hardly kick at all. My .54 with patched balls and 85 grains of GOEX is a pu$$ycat.
used 85 gr pyrodex in it with a 430 gr T/C conical,after a few shots it hurt yah lol.hey i admitted using the slip on pad
Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
I bring a blanket with me to lay on the table to keep from scratching everything up. I have been known to tuck the end of that blanket between my shoulder and the stock a time or two when shooting big ol' conicals I enjoy being able to use my shoulder the next day too much.
See semi another honest person here lmao..