Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Blackmag Introduces "Flash" Pan Powder >

Blackmag Introduces "Flash" Pan Powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Arrow Blackmag Introduces "Flash" Pan Powder

There's a thread about this new product on the American Longrifles Forum and a report about it in Muzzle Blasts, the NMLRA magazine.
Check out the thread and the company website for more info.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/...p?topic=9057.0

Colebrook, New Hampshire- BlackMag Industries of Colebrook, New Hampshire, makers of BlackMagXP muzzleloader propellant, a proven blackpowder replacement propellant, has introduced a new product to their powder line.
Called "FLASH," the new powder is the first blackpowder replacement specifically designed for the flash pan in flintlock muzzleloaders. Like BlackMag XP, "Flash" is non-hygroscopic, is moisture resistant and is actually recoverable after exposure to moisture, has a low ignition temperature to ensure faster, sure-fire ignitions and is non-fouling, is non corrosive, non-toxic and biodegradeable. The granulation size of "Flash," 40 to 50 microns in size, is comparable to FFFG blackpowder and is designed to optimize ignition in both old and new style flintlock flash pans with varying flash hole sizes. "Flash" is designed solely as a priming powder in flintlock muzzleloaders, and should not be used in the bore as a primary charge.
"We realize in today's muzzleloading market the number of flintlocks used is comparatively small," says Craig Sanborn, President and CEO of BlackMag Industries. "But it is an important and dedicated fraternity, and with blackpowder becoming increasingly difficult to find we wanted to provide a reliable and viable alternative."
The new "Flash" powder will be packaged in convenient 150-grain, waterproof speed loaders designed for field application.
For more information both dealers and consumers are invited to contact BlackMag Industries directly or visit the company's web site at www.BlackMagPowder.com.

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/...858psru6nxjq8a

Last edited by arcticap; 02-22-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well if their claims are true, they will have one customer here. I know that during our sometimes very wet PA primitive season, keeping your flash powder dry can be a challenge. Even when you mix it with 'powder dry'. And you have to change it several times a day to improve your chances of a sucessful ignition when the time arises.
I'm going to look on their site and see if I can find a dealer near me.
Thanks for the heads up on this stuff.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Here's a PDF of the Muzzle Blasts article about it:

http://emainehosting.com/MDM-Muzzlel...sh-article.pdf
Old 02-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bronko
There is a little trick you may want to try. I blackcked my surfaces on the lip around the flash pan top and bottom and machined off the high spots till level and polished them then when going hunting I rub them with beeswax have not had a problem since. Lee