Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
@ the Farm again with ole #09 >

@ the Farm again with ole #09

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

@ the Farm again with ole #09

Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default @ the Farm again with ole #09

Headed out to the farm again this morning after retrofitting my NFPJ breech plug to tighten the fit of the primer in the BP.

The retrofit, adding a thicker stainless washers seems to have worked and accomplished what i was after. I only had time to shoot a few rounds + I wanted to shot a wide range of primers from the longest down to the shortest.

But.... after stopping the blow back - another problem has reared it's head.... Nostradamus, aka Busta has predicted this possible problem in several of his posts. His concern about the Knight firing pin was it was to large and may induce blow back leaking from between the primer and the battery cup. I did not get that problem, but I did get a pressure problem forcing the primer back out of the battery cup and into the bolt face. The problem arises with the size of the opening in the face of the bolt where the firing pin comes through. The backed out primer wedges itself in that opening and will easily fall out of the bolt when you tip the gun to the side. By closing the bolt and dropping the hammer again the the primer is forced out of the face of the bolt and then will fall right out.

Of all the primers I shot only the Remington 209-4 did not exhibit the problem....

so at this point I am done! time to move on...

Here is todays picture....

Old 02-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I sure love those groups for a test session.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

rafsob

Ya, the gun shoots great!!! Actually it shoots better than I can shoot...
Old 02-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mike is the firing pin that big or is there a lot of empty space around it? Is that a floating firing pin?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

It is that big... and the hole is just a bit smaller than the primer itself. When you look at the head of the primer you can see where it pushed itself in the hole just enough to stick. Floating, not sure what you mean - but it could be pushed all the way back to re-kock if the bolt face were not present....
Old 02-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

nice groups ...why is the rag ziptied on your scope ???????
Old 02-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

heinz57

That is a home made 'scope bra' - to keep the blow back from the breech area from burning th bottom of the scope... which now I do not need anymore...
Old 02-19-2010, 04:06 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

Looks like ole #9 is gonna be a keeper.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I admire your persistence on this project. After this is done would you come up with a cure for the common cold?
Seriously, NICE WORK!