Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally done

Old 02-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Finally done

Pictures to come along soon. But I finally got the 32 cal. Cherokee all complete and assembled. It was a nice winter project that kept me out of trouble. That and shoveling snow.
Now if I can only get somewhere to go shooting. All my spots are plowed in. I have the Cherokee, and a 50 cal stainless GM LRH to sight in and also a 45 cal GM LRH that I put a T/C tang peep on that needs sighting in.

Semi - I got the 32 cal bullets you sent me and took Lee's advice and cut 1/4" strips of varying thickness of material and greased them up to use for cross patching. Those and some .311 round balls with .005 and .010 patches.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

All dressed up and nowhere to go, huh? Well, spring will come Bronko - hang in there.

If those .32's shoot well with cross patching I'll be in trouble. Might have to buy a .32 barrel for Ms. Piggy (my neglected tale of shame).

I'm in a state of euphoria - leaving Friday morning for a weekend shoot at the hunting lease. Weather projection is for highs in the mid-60's with "mostly sunny" skies and only a 20% chance of rain Sunday afternoon. I haven't been on the range since mid-December and have so many shooting projects in mind that I'll have a hard time deciding what to shoot first.

You have got to try some 300 grain XTPs or Gold Dots in that .50 LRH. I've only shot mine one time with one load - 85 grains GOEX FFFg. But WOW, does it ever show potential.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah Semi - that is what I intend to try. My blued 50 LRH loves the 300 gr XTPs and the green CR sabot.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Wait until spring to shoot?? Boy you have to be kidding!! They'd have to lock me up somewhere if I could not make my noise and smoke..

That .32 should be interesting. That is one caliber I have not owned. I often though about getting one just to shoot on the range, but never seem to do it. I guess I will have to wait until a deal falls in my lap.

Are you a small game hunter? That would be kind of fun with that rifle.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Where's the photos???????????????????????????????

I have a tradtions Crockett .32 Squirrel gun and love it. They are a bunch of fun to shoot.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Relax RA - the pics will be coming probably tomorrow. I found a place where I think my truck can bust through the plowed snow. (will carry a shovel just in case).
I plan on takiing 3 MLs out tomorrow and 'have at it'. Then I will post the pics of the rifle with the target, good or bad.
Dave, I'm not necessarily a small game hunter but come this fall, the squirrels and turkeys (and maybe even the rabbits) may be in for some harassing. I may not hit many, but I'm sure I'll scare the crap out of them. I'm also thinking of taking it out once I sight it in and try to pop a coyote with it if I can call one in.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Pics as promised

OK - First and formost. Semi - good news - the bullets you sent me shot terribly. 3" group at 25 yds was the best I could do using 30, 40 and 50 gr of FFFg.
However, the 47 gr RB with a .005" patch and 30 gr of FFFg produced the groups below. The first 3 shots were the ones about 3" low. The next hole at 5:00 in the bull was the next 3 after a sight adjustment. Now this is a new barrel and the range is only 25 yds. But this is a plinker/small game rifle. And it does show a lot of potential.
Attached Thumbnails Finally done-cherokee.jpg   Finally done-cherokee-30gr-fffg-prb.jpg  
Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Forgot - One more thing. I took my T/C Hawken with the 45 cal GM LRH barrel out because I installed a T/C tang peep on it. Loaded it up with its favorite load and laid it across the sand bags. I pulled back the hammer and I was a bit high so I lifted the front end off the bags to 'bump' it down a bit. When the forearm hit the sand bags - KABOOM. Scared the crap out of me. I pulled the hammer back again to remove the spent cap and it fell forward again. Now this could be a dangerous situation!!
I put the gun up and came home. When I pulled the lock, the rod that runs through the coil spring somehow got bent on the end. And it looks as though the sear is becoming rounded. I have the lock in an envelope ready to head out to T/C tomorrow.