Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Freakin' Lincoln!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

Angry Freakin' Lincoln!

Well, I was all geared up to go to the range today only to be shut down by Lincoln's Birthday (apparently a MO state and Federal holiday) . I even went to Cabela's and picked up a container of BH209 and CCI 209 Magnum primers. I WAS going to try out my new Leupold USMS with some 240 grain XTP Mag's and 300 grain Speer GDHP's.

The range I was going to was a Missouri Dept of Conservation manned range that is opened Friday-Tuesday 12:00PM-4:30PM. I even took the day off cause I won't be able to go tomorrow or Sunday and I have truly been chomping at the bit to get out and zero my new scope. For all of you guys who have easy access to a range, count your blessings. Living in Suburban hell with few ranges to go to is starting to piss me off .
Old 02-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

man that sucks. you can come use my range any time for only $5 per day
Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

My range is free and always open (at hunting lease) but it's 82 miles from home. SUCKS!

That's why I have so many two or three day range sessions. I just go to the lease and stay overnight. I get a lot of shooting in though, figuring if I'm going to burn a half tank of gas I may as well burn a pound of powder too.

And don't you be bad mouthing old Abe!

Last edited by Semisane; 02-12-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Dominant Buck

My range is close enough, but kind of snowed in right now. All I have a a 30 yard target, but at least that lets me shoot. Unless I am willing to snowshoe the target back into the woods. But with my bad knee, I think I can wait until spring.

Its a shame you did not get to shoot. That really stinks. That's why I decided to live in the middle of no where. No one to tell me not to...
Old 02-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, we don't care for Lincoln down south either...
Old 02-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea that sucks all right, I'm lucky I only have to go 1/4 mile to where I shoot and its 24/7.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semisane

How appropriate are LINCOLN' words today!!
Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

I got so frustrated in my area with public ranges being opened and closed with no rhyme or reason that I joined a local rifle and pistol club. Now 12 miles away I have access to a range that has at least 20 benches for rifle-100yd to 300yd shots. There is also a combat range and the largest outdoor pistol range I have ever seen. About 5 miles beyond they they have an indoor pistol range with 25 yard shots. Im still a rookie member earning privileges by qualifying at each weapon range. I feel spoiled after what the last few years have been like trying to find a good spot to shoot.