Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
t/c newenglander 12ga >

t/c newenglander 12ga

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

t/c newenglander 12ga

Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

They do have a choke. Mine has a choke. I just am not sure what the choke is. But out to 25 yards I have little doubt it would do a turkey in.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 04jeep
I looked at t/c web site and the new englander came with 2 types one with choke tubes
and the other one cly bore i think cly bore wont be so good for turkey this rife has no chokes to screw in

Most rifles don't have choke tubes! being this is a shoot gun why do you say it won't be good for turkeys. My son doesn't seem to know this. He has killed 5 Turkeys with his non choked NE 12 Ga. His load is 7o gr of powder, 2 card board wads, same measure of 5s the a single card board over shot. it is deadly out to 30+ Yards on Turkeys.

Do a search of, Muzzleloading Shotgun by V M Starr, His writings are great for the shotgunner.

Just in case you can't find a copy by doing a google search: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=2605

Last edited by Screwbolts; 02-04-2010 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a T/C historian, but I believe the first NewEnglander 12ga models were produced with an improved cylinder fixed choke. Later it was switched to screw-in choke tubes and sold with an improved cylinder tube installed, and optional tubes available.
The one I bought was a .50 rifle, and I purchased an accessory barrel from T/C in 12ga which had the IC screw-in tube.

From a conversation with a T/C tech I'm led to believe it's the same barrel that was used on the Black Mountain Magnum when it was sold.

I've used a generic choke tube sold to fit "Winchester - Weatherby - Mossberg" shotguns in my NewEnglander. These tubes are very slightly shorter than the T/C tubes and recess into the muzzle very slightly when installed, but the internal joint where it butts against the shoulder inside the barrel is tight. I also have a T/C full tube which produces very good (tight) patterns.

Over the years I added an accessory camo stock and then picked up a spare lock, so I now have 2 complete NewEnglanders. One in .50 cal and one in 12ga. I have found both to be excellent performers - not fancy, but very functional!

I also have buried somewhere in my "shop" a walnut stock for the NewEnglander, and I intend to cut it down for my son in the next year or two. He's 9 years old, and I figure if I can get the length of pull shortened to fit him the NewEnglander will be a great way for him to get started. Both the .50 and 12ga barrels can be loaded down a bit and still perform well.