Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Second Range Report On TC Big Boar! >

Second Range Report On TC Big Boar!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Second Range Report On TC Big Boar!

Old 01-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Second Range Report On TC Big Boar!

I am having a lot of fun shooting this T/C Big Boar and I am also getting some interesting results. On this trip I was going to shoot some T/C Maxi Balls and Hunters. On my first trip I shot PRBs and got some nice results. This time I was very disappointed:

This is what the Maxi-Hunters did and I was very disapointed with this result:

Now the Maxi-Balls didn't seem do any better and where all over the place. I must admit I didn't try to remove the lube from the upper grove as some have mentioned to me, which gave them a different result:

I thought I would try some PRBs again and this is what I got:

I am still not finished yet. I still want to try some Hornaday GPBs and REAL bullets. I also have a few mini balls that I will try.

But as of right now it appears to be PRBs for this cannon. Not that this bothers me. I enjoy shooting them.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

How much powder are you loading under those roundballs?

I have a TC Renegade with a 58cal barrel I ordered from Fox Ridge Outfitters. Its the 1-48" twist barrel. It just does not have the "Big Boar" stamp on it. Same thing though.

I have had best luck with roundballs in it. I did have good luck with some Buffalo Ball-ets and I think the 525gr Hornady Great Plains shot well to but those are no longer made.

Try out some Buffalo Ball-ets in it. You can get them from Dixie Gun Works. I think I was shooting 90-100gr FFG with the Ball-ets. The roundballs like just about any powder charge. I like shooting those the most.

The 58cal is a lot of fun! Good luck and have fun
Old 01-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red face

Originally Posted by Sharp Shooter
How much powder are you loading under those roundballs?

I have a TC Renegade with a 58cal barrel I ordered from Fox Ridge Outfitters. Its the 1-48" twist barrel. It just does not have the "Big Boar" stamp on it. Same thing though.

I have had best luck with roundballs in it. I did have good luck with some Buffalo Ball-ets and I think the 525gr Hornady Great Plains shot well to but those are no longer made.

Try out some Buffalo Ball-ets in it. You can get them from Dixie Gun Works. I think I was shooting 90-100gr FFG with the Ball-ets. The roundballs like just about any powder charge. I like shooting those the most.

The 58cal is a lot of fun! Good luck and have fun

Hey Sharp Shooter, I was using 85 grs. of Goex 2f. but you may be right about any charge. I tried different charges and got about the same results. The limiting factor seems to be my shoulder!!!

Never thought about the Ball-ets, but will give them a try. I didn't know that Hornaday didn't make the GP bullets anymore. Shame, they are a good bullet. I have used them in my .50 & .54 cap locks.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

I have killed many deer with my .58 H&A under hammer with a charge of just 65 grains and my own cast .562 RBs try going down in charge is another option.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

The roundball look pretty good. I never could get any of my T/C Renegade to shoot maxihunters. Now maxiball I shoot with 80 grains and get good results.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by cayugad
The roundball look pretty good. I never could get any of my T/C Renegade to shoot maxihunters. Now maxiball I shoot with 80 grains and get good results.

I have a few left so maybe I can play a little more with them.

But then again when it comes to these rifles setting up a good load is all the fun, don't you think?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too have had good luck with the Ball-ets in 1-48" twist. Hope they are still available now that Buffalo supposedly went under...
Old 01-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

ra - I have a couple rifles that like the maxihunters (these are GM LRH barrels 1:28 50 cal). But I've found that you have to push them. I use 100 gr of Goex FFFg.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I promise that if you'll work with the patching thickness, lube and find the right powder granulation and charge those balls will knock that red dot out at 50 yards...They'll also knock a nice hole in whatever you want to put it through..
Old 01-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hornady still makes the Great Plains just not in the 58cal anymore.

With the roundball I shoot anywhere from 100gr - 125gr FFG. I like shooting balls more because they don't lead my bore.

Do you know how much those maxi-hunters you are using weigh?

The ones I shoot are casted. I got them from October Country and they weigh 615gr. I never played around with them too much but I suppose I should see if I can work up a load with them.

I also have a mold for some 58cal 440gr R.E.A.L's. I have not casted any yet but that reminds me I need to do so and try them out.

Kirk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.