Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New toy on its way!!!!! >

New toy on its way!!!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New toy on its way!!!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default New toy on its way!!!!!

Well since my son used my omega to take his first deer this yr (he coulda used shotgun but wanted to use a muzzleloader) trained him good! I decided the boys gotta own the gun he shot his first deer with. Therefore dad needed a new gun, Can you believe that even worked on the wife . I have a newTraditions Xlt Extreme in camo and ss coming should be here tomorrow according to tracking #. I am really looking forward to putting her the the paces I will let you guys know my review once I do
Old 01-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I decided the boys gotta own the gun he shot his first deer with.
Good thinking there Matt. What could be better, a gun from your dad and your first deer gun - all in one. He's got to be one happy fellow. No way could wanting a new toy have affected your decision.

We'll looking for range reports on the Traditions.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I will be looking forward to the range report...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

new toys are always fun!!

i did some checking on their website and it looks like its a nickel plated barrel, not SS. I had a nickel optima once and it holds up very well but if you dont put something on it before shooting, Its going to stain like a mofo. Traditions uses a real choppy nickel coating and that wavy texture is going to be a little hard to clean the fouling off.

Heres what i used to keep staining away from my Optima. I highly recommend that you buy a tube and give the traditions atleast 2 applications before you even think of shooting it.
http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/flitz.htm
Old 01-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Why you artful little devil. Shame on you for using a situation such as this. I would have never thought of that one.

Now you know we will be expecting a full range report on this fine piece of mechanized material.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

You sound like a smart married man to me. And also a great father. I gave my 11 year old son my first Omega this year and he took a doe with it at about 80 yards in the woods with 50 gr of 777 and a 240gr TC Shockwave. I stopped her for him and she was behind a tree. He had the choice of neck or gut. He chose neck and shot her right through the wind pipe. She went down about 10 yards away.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

The future of hunting depends on people teaching their kids to hunt.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MO Archer
You sound like a smart married man to me. And also a great father. I gave my 11 year old son my first Omega this year and he took a doe with it at about 80 yards in the woods with 50 gr of 777 and a 240gr TC Shockwave. I stopped her for him and she was behind a tree. He had the choice of neck or gut. He chose neck and shot her right through the wind pipe. She went down about 10 yards away.
glad he got his deer ...neck shots are risky ..he must have touched the spine in the neck ..wind pipe shots are not deadly for deer [they will die eventualy ] from lack of food .but they can still breath through the bullet hole ...

don't ask me why i know ...

my doe ran for a 1/4 of a mile and my partener nailed it on the spot . when i arrived on the spot i realized my mistake ..