Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cabelas Hawken question >

Cabelas Hawken question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cabelas Hawken question

Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cabelas Hawken question

Can anyone tell me how good are the triggers in these rifles? also what is your opinion of them overall? I am thinking about picking one up for a project. Thanks, Ron
Old 01-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

A friend of mine shoots a .54 caliber Cabela's percussion cap rifle and it is a very nice rifle. Excellent wood, well made, and I've shot it a number of times and it is really a nice rifle to shoot. His wife bought him it for Christmas. He really did not have a lot of respect for a muzzleloader and the ability of them to take game. I helped him work up a load, and it was actually very accurate.

I had to laugh at him when he shot his first buck. He took the Cabela's rifle instead of his 30-06 because he was not having any luck that day, so for the heck of it, took that for his afternoon hunt. His buck came in at about 30 yards broadside. He was shooting a roundball. He blasted that deer behind the shoulder, and when he was telling the story kept saying.. that deer when right down. Just dropped it. He never would believe the knock down power of a .54 caliber ball.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
A friend of mine shoots a .54 caliber Cabela's percussion cap rifle and it is a very nice rifle. Excellent wood, well made, and I've shot it a number of times and it is really a nice rifle to shoot. His wife bought him it for Christmas. He really did not have a lot of respect for a muzzleloader and the ability of them to take game. I helped him work up a load, and it was actually very accurate.

I had to laugh at him when he shot his first buck. He took the Cabela's rifle instead of his 30-06 because he was not having any luck that day, so for the heck of it, took that for his afternoon hunt. His buck came in at about 30 yards broadside. He was shooting a roundball. He blasted that deer behind the shoulder, and when he was telling the story kept saying.. that deer when right down. Just dropped it. He never would believe the knock down power of a .54 caliber ball.
Ahh the old boy I did'nt know a MLer would do that saying, I've heard that one a few times. More people would shoot MLer's if they'd just give em a chance, then they'd be hooked!
As for Cabela's I Love there stuff, I buy all my Hunting Clothe's from Long Underware to Boots from them but I just could never bring myself around to buying one of there MLer's or Scopes. Im sure there good and there probably made by one of the Major MLer Manufacture's and Cabela's put's there name on it. But if I was gonna get a Hawken it would be TC or a name brand other than TC so I knew if I had to I could get parts and it fixed if need be, or it would'nt all of a sudden be discontinued.
Im sure Cabela's brand MLer's are good but sometimes it's hard to buy something that's not a name brand, or should I say a Popular Brand.
(BP)
Old 01-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Cabela's Muzzleloaders are made by Lyman ... well actually Investarms Inc. who make Lyman. Their Hawkins is the Lyman Trade Rifle with brass. I own a Lyman Trade rifle and it is a great shooting rifle. Mine is a flintlock, and it is a fast sparker and a nice rifle to shoot, even with a stout load.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Cabela's Muzzleloaders are made by Lyman ... well actually Investarms Inc. who make Lyman. Their Hawkins is the Lyman Trade Rifle with brass. I own a Lyman Trade rifle and it is a great shooting rifle. Mine is a flintlock, and it is a fast sparker and a nice rifle to shoot, even with a stout load.
Thank's for clearing that up Dave, I did'nt know that but suspected something to that route. Mabey more would have more faith and purchase a Cabela's ML if they knew who made it.
(BP)
Old 01-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

creepy triggers but other than that, a good rifle.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

in 1997 Cabelas was having a closeout sale on their 58 caliber hawkins that was being discontinued. These were fully assebled and finished for $150.00. The quality was excelent and I worked up a load and killed a nice buck that season. I later sold it to a buddy of mine for $150.00. I put more money with it and built a half stock 58 caliber with flint ignition.

But to get back to your question, They are excellent rifles. Another thing - Cabelas stands behind their products.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

I got one I built last yr. Spent 40 hours on it making it perfect. Stock was rough cut as crap, burn marks, ect ect. Brass was rough casted and had casting marks all over.

20 hrs on the stock sanding cutting trimming,

Over 5 hours on the brass. started with 180 grit to 2000 wet sanding and them polishing with jewlers rouge.

polished sideplate and lock area as it was crappy then painted the inlay black to highlight the floral design.

Crappy black steel screws all replaced with brass ones. Front sight is crappy, painted gold and didn't light. Painted black and drilled small hole 1/16" deep and inserted a piece of fiber optic.

multi coats of hand rubbing oil, polish and wax.

I got mine sighted in and use 90gr (volume) pyro with a 250 shockwave. Accurate? I am truely amazed. I mean totally mind blowing how consistant this load is in the gun. At 50 yards (don't have long shots where I hunt) she is a tack driver. By far my favorite gun in the cabinet and also got to try her out on a buck 2nd time in the woods with it this past season. Made all the work I put into it worth it.
Attached Thumbnails Cabelas Hawken question-smhawk.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by idahoron
Can anyone tell me how good are the triggers in these rifles? also what is your opinion of them overall? I am thinking about picking one up for a project. Thanks, Ron
I have two of these cabines and love them both. However, Cabalas is way to expensive. I got hte Cabalas first at $400. I then found one on gunbroker and paid only $179. I must admit they had different barrels. Cabalas is a 1 in 24" twist and the other one was a 1 in 66" twist. Both are great shooters and are a dream to hump in the woods during hunting season.

This is the PRB gun:

This is the Sabot gun:

They are both made by InvestArms and both look pretty much the same.

All I can say is that there are plenty of them out there and you can shop and find one that is not so expensive.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

I've got one in LH. I love the thing. I would like to find a way to redo the stock to get ride of the "cresent" butt, but other then that I will never get rid of it.