Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Jan Shooting

Old 01-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Jan Shooting

Well, I went out shooting today in the freezin sleet/snow/crap. Not the greatest day to go out shooting blackpowder...but after being sick for several weeks I needed to get in the woods. I took the dog with and we hung some trail cameras and then did some shooting...of course, the dog was a major distraction. But, here's some pics of the target after 4 shots at 70 yards off hand standing. I was also trying new sabots...instead of powerbelts I tried the Fed. Fushions. Not sure I like them, but a day on the bench in good conditions will be needed to confirm. I shot the TC Triumph Bone collector 5 times and the Remington Genesis 3 times. First shot was just off the bull, second is the way low one, third and fourth up a tad high, no cleaning or swabbing in between....100gr T7.Jan Shooting-target.jpg

Jan Shooting-snowtwo.jpg

Jan Shooting-snowone.jpg
Old 01-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

For free hand shooting at that distance, you did real well. The same weather is here also. Snowing like the devil but warm out.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:49 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

Thanks for the report. Glad to see someone braving the elements. Pretty good shootin for off hand. Most folks, seldom, if ever practice off hand. Looks to be dead deer accurate.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I was with a bunch of friends one afternoon shooting muzzleloaders. They all felt they were some great shots. So I went in the house and got some 3x5 index cards in different colors. I taped them to the box and set the box at 25 yards is all. I then told them to shoot for the center of the card and we would see who got the best group.

What will surprise you is, how many of them miss the card at that distance. Try it sometime. I know I have to start to shoot more off hand. If you do not, you can loose a lot of your talent doing it.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah you did very well in my opinion for free hand shooting. What was the size of that target? Anyway, I tried the Federal Fusions in my muzzle loader a few weeks back and I liked them. They seemed to group really well. A little better than the Powerbelts but the Powerbelts did pretty well also. I think I will give them a shot this year. After losing a deer this year with the Powerbelts it kind of made me wonder about them. I went from shooting the 295 grain Powerbelt to a 300 grain Fusion. I'm still not sure what I will use when hunting season comes around. I have 10 or 11 months to decide. I was shooting these through my Remington Genesis.

BTW what grain Fusions are you shooting? If you decide you don't like them and have extras you want to sell let me know.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Home: I was also shooting 300gr Fushions. I have never shot anything but Powerbelts, so this was new to me and perhaps I didn't load them perfect. I will give them another shot, because even on the 4th shot they still loaded rather easily. I too am trying to get away from powerbelts. I have never lost one and have shot...um..thinking....5 deer with them, but as stated before, no good blood trail...not sure if I will switch or not, but trying some others.
Cayugad: I shoot probably more off hand then benched because I hunt without a rest so that is what I need to practice, the index card sounds fun, Ill try that next time I am out. I wasn't real happy with my group, but I was kinda shaky and that, so its not bad either.
The targets were 8" orange I think..I'd have to double check that though to make sure.
Tjj: yes, the deer would be dead and that is what I like to see. =)