Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Blackhorn 209 first impressions >

Blackhorn 209 first impressions

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackhorn 209 first impressions

Old 01-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Spike

Default Blackhorn 209 first impressions

I finally shot the black horn 209 powder yesterday and was really impressed on one hand and kinda dissappointed on the other. accuracy is absolutley on point. I really didnt think it kicks any harder than anything else i have shot. but it dosent seem any easier to clean. u still need to run at least 3-4 wet patches to get the barrel clean so i wont say its easier than pyrodex. But i does not make a diffrence if its the first or fifth shot my TC Shockwaves load with the same force every time that is cool. but i noticed that the first 2 shoots are really good than the third shot the primer comes out all black and it shoots a little diffrent not alot but usually a half inch low.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

What gun are you shooting? You may be getting a carbon buildup on the first two shots and then getting some blow backon the third.

I do know from what I have experienced and heard on this forum that some of the breech plugs react different to this powder. I shoot a Knight Vision and the plug in my gun needs a hotter primer to ignite the powder.

I first used Winchester 209s and it would not ignite my charge. I talked to the factory and they told me to use CCI M and Federal 209A primers. I can't find any Federal primers, but did find CCIs. And they work very well, with no more ignition problems.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

bhtc53
well first off I never seen anything that did a good job of cleaning with out a few passes And doubt that I ever will nothing is going to do it for you and it will take two wet both sides and two dry both sides and a couple passes with an oil patch at a minimum to do a good job even with smokeless.
The other thing is what you use, this is a celluloid base progressive burning powder
so far the two thing that have worked well for me is a 50/50 mix of alcohol and Hoppes #9 and Montana X cowboy bore cleaner. You can not use the normal run of stuff for a muzzle loader.
Are you cleaning the oil out of the barrel with alcohol before you load ? Whats in the barrel will have an effect on the first 3 or 4 shots at a minimum. I have the best results with Birchwood Casey Synthetic oil or better yet with Montana X bore protector. There is probably a lot of other things that work fine but there are some thats more compatible than others then there is some that are like a conflict in your computer. While I always thought Pyrodex was easy to clean when things are right I do find Blackhorn easier.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

I can use 2 patches of Montana cowboy and one dry patch. I think we are cleaning out more primer fowling than bH.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Spike

im shooting a TC Omega with CCI 209m primers and 100 grs of blackhorn 209 with 300 grain slick glide shockwaves. My barrel was spotless before i shot the other day and i cleaned out my breach plug like blackhorn told me to do wih the drill bit and it was spotless too. By all means im not complaining about this powder, i really do like it i kinda thought i was doing something wrong that iwas getting alot of blowback. To me it seems the CCI 209m primers are just really dirty.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Got to agree with that. Do not need the potent primers in Omega ,Triumph or the Encore muzzle loaders. They do need them in the Knight on some set ups. Some of the CVA set ups do better with the 2 hottest primers too. Every 209 primer I have tried has worked well in the TC closed inlines, I was watching for other things and I am not sure which primer is the cleanest. Lee
Old 01-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

don't be disapointed ... welcome to the wonderful world of MUZZLE LOADING and most important if you want accuracy [constant] make sure ur barrel is CLEAN and DRY ..i have tried all of the different 209 primers and found no real evidence that one is better than the other .. flinching and jerking the trigger is the real problem .