Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Swbbing between shots???? >

Swbbing between shots????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Swbbing between shots????

Old 01-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

i swab after ever two or three shots when firing Pyrodex or 777. The patch is wetted with Windex with vinegar. The bore is swabbed using short back and forth motions followed by three dry patches.

When using JSG or Pinnacle i will swab after 15-20 shots.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would not recommend water, when hunting it would have a long time to draw moisture into the powder. Mostly with a decent patch lube you will be able to get 3 or 4 accurate shots with Pyrodex with out any swabbing, if it makes you more confident take some patches and a perfume bottle of alcohol. The only time I normally would worry about swabbing when hunting would be with 777. Lee
Old 01-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

At the range I always use a 50/50 mix of alcohol and windshield washing liquid. but it is important to shoot a second shot with no cleaning so you will know what your gun would do if yo should get a second shot.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

At the range I swab with a damp patch of windex after every shot and run a couple of dries thru after the windex. :uckily with my sidelocks I dont get the 777 crud ring but I do with the inline.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the info guys. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a different method for using Pyrodex. I shoot BH209 in all my inlines and haven's used Pyrodex in a long time. Thanks again for your help.