Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Does this forum makes people better shots? >

Does this forum makes people better shots?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default Does this forum makes people better shots?

After reading Grouses 275yd shot i started thinking this year my Va buck was taken with my longest kill shot(92yds). Bang... flop and laser range finder used as he laid on the ground. Could it be this forum makes people better shots? I think it just might. I went from 150g of pyro to 100g of 777 and my groups closed up. Not to mention my overall knowledge of blkpwdr grew leaps and bounds. 2009 was a good year on here only hope 2010 stays the same.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

jaybez101099

I am not sure but it sure can not hurt... there is a lot of good information on here.

We have one hunter on here that shooting 300+ yard shots with a ML is a regular event for him where he hunts using a TC Omega. Should also mention that he has spends a lot time practicing those shots and has the scope setup on his Omega that allows him to do that.

My personal max is 200 yards provided all the other external things are lined up the way I would want them to be. I think my longest shot with a ML on an animal is 170+ yards on a cow elk.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only thing that can make you a better shot is practice. But taking advice from others and trying different things which improves the accuracy of your rifle and in doing so, also gives you more practice at the range. So inadvertantly, yes this forum does make you a better shot.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Dominant Buck

These forums gave me pointers that helped me overcome some problems I was having on the target range. There are a lot of people here with amazing experience that anyone can learn something from.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing will make you a better shot than yourself with lots of practice. What this Forum will do for you is help you and your ML become all it can be. You will learn what's hot and what's not, what works and what does'nt amd what you should do and what you should'nt. There's a-lot of seasoned experienced ML shooters here and with there advice it will help you become better at what you do, to be a better shot is all up to you.
(BP)
Old 01-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have not seen much on here that would make one a better shot, but it certainly helps people improve on the equipment end of things. The ability of the shooter and the potential of the rifle/load combination I see as two different things when I say this.

It's a lot easier to learn to shoot well, however, if your equipment is good enough to allow you to see the difference as you improve.

It never hurts to have the most accurate equipment you can. I learned most of the skills I apply to long range shooting by frequenting long range shooting sites.

Of all the ML forums I've been on over the years, this one is the best both in terms of the quality of people and the quality of knowledge/advice. The only one that would rival is Doug's Savage Board but that caters to a different crowd (smokeless) not really addressed here.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

Talking

The experiences of the folks here have certainly educated me in almost all aspects of ML shooting. Not necessarily the shooting of longer distances. But just being more competent in all aspects of MLing. Bullet/sabots,variation of charges and what will and won't work. It's surely saved me some dough.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

Practice makes perfect. And dont think shooting off a bench the whole year will help you with your off hand shooting ability! We all learn from eachother on the forums
Old 01-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't think a ML should be used past 250yards. If i know my shots are going to be past 250 i would rather use a CF rifle. There is a major difference in a CF rifle and a ML in bullet drop and windage. I also dont think you should shoot past 200yards with out a ballistic reticle scope either. And yes i'm guilty of not doing so, but that still doesn't make it right. I shot my Buck at 90yards or so, that's alot more fun and easier.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, I'm getting to be a worse shot...

It's because back when I was in my 30s I shot a lot of competition with my flintlocks and now that I'm on the other side of 50 the dang sights are getting fuzzy... I'm at that point where I know the dang gun can shoot better than I can hold her...I'm afraid the clock is ticking as to how much longer I can hunt with open sights, I've already lost 10-15 minutes of hunting light...

The good news is...I bought a Knight Disc on sale about 6 years ago, haven't loaded it in 3 years, but is has a SCOPE...

What this forum does is keep you up to date on new stuff to cram down the bore...I realized today that I need to stock on on different sabots as I feel that's often a forgotten element of load development...

I like to hear what others have tried so I can duplicate or stay away from...

So yes, it makes me a better shot...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.