Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Newly approved Colorado regs >

Newly approved Colorado regs

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Newly approved Colorado regs

Old 01-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Newly approved Colorado regs

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/917449C3-6F50-4FC2-88D0-9BA5F26E874F/0/Ch2BigGameapproved.pdf

Lots of info (it is very long) but appears to have a couple of new wrinkles for muzzleloaders. There is no mention of a length requirement on bullets for muzzys (I have heard they were going to eliminate that reg). And they have the new unit specific muzzy info starting on page 97.

Also there are some units that have either sex muzzy tags. But they do not list tag numbers yet.

Here is the paragraph on legal muzzy methods:

Muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets, provided the minimum caliber shall be forty (.40) for all big game except elk and moose. The minimum caliber for elk and moose shall be fifty (.50). All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets from forty (.40) caliber through fifty (.50) caliber must use a bullet of at least 170 grains in weight. All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets greater than fifty (.50) caliber must use bullets of at least 210 grains in weight.
a. During the muzzle-loading firearms seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose only lawful muzzle-loaders and smoothbore muskets may be used by muzzle-loading license holders.
b. During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose the following additional restrictions apply:
1. Propellent/Powders: The use of pelletized powder systems and smokeless powder are prohibited.
2. Projectiles: Sabots are prohibited. For the purposes of this regulation cloth patches are not sabots.
3. Loading: Firearms must load from the muzzle. Firearms which can be loaded from the breech are prohibited.
4. Sights: Any muzzle-loading rifle or smoothbore musket with any sighting device other than open or “iron” sights is prohibited.
5. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or attached to the muzzle-loading firearm.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW, looks lile I'll never go Hunting in Colorado.....most of the rules make no sence, and who's to say what powder or bullet weight are better than other's on game? I know that's the rules there.....In N.Y we can shoot any bullet, sabots included, any powder and scopes. Our only regulation is the MLer must have a Bore bigger than .44inches. Also any MLer is legal even smoothbores. Nothing against Cloroado but there rules suck!
(BP)
Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess to each his own. I do own inlines, and I can hunt with anything in Texas, and I have never shot a sabot or used a scope on my muzzleloaders. You don't know what your missing in Colorado!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

hes missing out on Tag Soup!! LOL
Old 01-15-2010, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dont get me wrong here guy's, at one time here in N.Y. all we could use was a patch and round ball & no scopes or fiber optice. I killed a-lot of Deer that way back then. I guess we got spoiled after they changed the rules.
I was only trying to point out that you'd think Colorado would want people to be as effective on game as possible to lessen the wounding rate among animals. Say you need glasses or your eyes are bad, is this person better off with open sights or a scope where the shot can be precisely placed and you can see your game better and in low light. Or a saboted bullet that would fly true and much straighter than a ball or a maxi hunter and be as effective if not better.
And yes MD I have had Tag Soup, I think we all have at one time or another! LOL. And when I said I guess Im never gonna hunt in Colorado it's because out of the 8 MLers I own none of them would be considered legal there. My Hats off to you guy's in Col. Success to you all!
(BP)
Old 01-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, states have different regs to suit their particular reasons. Note that CO is one of the few places where ML season is BEFORE rifle season (for elk anyways). If you want to use your inline I believe it is fine to use it during rifle season (correct me if I'm wrong).

There is nothing inherently unprecise or inaccurate about open sights you just can't shoot as far precisely with them. If the tradeoff is getting to go afield before the rifle hunters chase all the game off-limits onto private land, I'd take it.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
And yes MD I have had Tag Soup, I think we all have at one time or another! LOL. And when I said I guess Im never gonna hunt in Colorado it's because out of the 8 MLers I own none of them would be considered legal there. My Hats off to you guy's in Col. Success to you all!
(BP)
Not sure what you mean by "none are legal". I own a T/C renegade, an Omega, a Knight KRB7, and a Knight long range hunter, and all are legal for use in Colorado. Just have to use loose powder, conicals, and open sights.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Not sure what you mean by "none are legal". I own a T/C renegade, an Omega, a Knight KRB7, and a Knight long range hunter, and all are legal for use in Colorado. Just have to use loose powder, conicals, and open sights.
I ment all My MLers are fitted with Scopes and sighted in with saboted bullets, and most came with (Fiber-Optic-Sights) Im not sure weather or not the Fiber-Optic-Sights are legal? but if not they should at least allow you this one. But believe me if I lived there I'd be prepared!
(BP)
Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

It sounds like government correctness trying to satisfy all concerned.

I have eaten both tag and track soup.

Last edited by dburns51; 01-15-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Banned

fiber optics are legal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.