HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   New "cheap" T/C Rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/314789-new-cheap-t-c-rifle.html)

UncleNorby 01-12-2010 06:44 AM

New "cheap" T/C Rifle

Looking at the new Cabelas shooting catalog, saw a new T/C rifle I had not heard of before. They are marketing as a more affordable T/C with all the desireable features. They named it "Impact".

Here's what the catalog says: The features of a high-dollar muzzleloader with a price that won't break the bank. With features like an adjustable length of pull and a sleek, compact design, this gun ushers in a new era of muzzleloading. The QLA® muzzle system lets you load more quickly than ever before. A removable, fast-action sliding breech and break-open action make cleaning and maintenance easier.

Does anyone know what the sliding breech looks like or how it operates?

sabotloader 01-12-2010 08:47 AM

UncleNorby

New one on me - no information on the TC website yet?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

his guzzi 01-12-2010 08:55 AM

I saw that in my new catalog also. Wonder what the sliding breach is? Like a Genisis or something? Maybe it is to compete with the Wolf. For my tight brush hunting the 26" barrel works fine and the Wolf fits me as i don't have long arms. I do have several other good ML rifles but they are longer and heavier. Seems like some new models this year all around. good thing

Antler Junkie 01-12-2010 08:58 AM

I don't get it! Looks like they are trying to compete with the CVA price point.

Thanks for the link Sabot. Very interesting.......

Steve
www.muledeercountry.com

Johnmorris 01-12-2010 09:28 AM

I wonder if it isn't like a rolling block style

lemoyne 01-12-2010 09:35 AM

Looks a lot like an Omega with a sliding block instead of a dropping one with an adjustable stock. [Just looking at the picture and guessing]. If they are making it special for Cabela's would they post information on the TC web page?

ampelart 01-12-2010 09:43 AM

TAKE A LOOK AT C.V.A. OPTIMA SS NEW SPEED BREACH PLUG $249.99 BERGARA BARREL. and a new wolf

MountainDevil54 01-12-2010 10:13 AM

i agree, the new optima is pretty darned nice. im itching for one

Breechplug 01-12-2010 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3553205)
i agree, the new optima is pretty darned nice. im itching for one

MD, where did you see the new CVA Optima? I looked on CVA's Home Page and it was'nt listed??
(BP)

sabotloader 01-12-2010 10:41 AM

This a quote from Busta...

This gun is probably a down graded Triumph in an attempt to compete at the entry level.

I seen that rifle on Cabelas' site last night. It is just like the Triumph, without the toggle lock trigger guard, and it has plastic all up the side of the receiver. I think the lever on the back of the receiver is to open the breech, as it appears to be a tip-up (break open) rifle. I would say this is an attempt at an entry level rifle, as everything else they sell is way over $250. This also has an adjustable stock, obviously for the youth hunter. It also has the T/C logo molded into the stock, and comes in blued only. Check it out for yourself, and make sure you use the zoom feature to zoom in on the parts you would like a closer look at, like the receiver and stock. Not for me, but maybe for you?

ampelart 01-12-2010 10:42 AM

2010 Cabelas shooting catalog

MountainDevil54 01-12-2010 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by ampelart (Post 3553195)
TAKE A LOOK AT C.V.A. OPTIMA SS NEW SPEED BREACH PLUG $249.99 BERGARA BARREL. and a new wolf

Originally Posted by Breechplug (Post 3553219)
MD, where did you see the new CVA Optima? I looked on CVA's Home Page and it was'nt listed??
(BP)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=78642

thumbhole,
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=78656

They even updated the wolf with the QR breech plug,Adjustable stock,
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat20815&rid=

Big Z 01-12-2010 11:39 AM

Bad things usually happen to the people who buy cheap models from an otherwise good company. I'll have to go to cabela's and see if they have one, and see what kind of shortcuts were made on the gun. But...it might not be bad at all. Considering T/C customer service, they don't want to make a crappy product they keep having to fix.

SteveBNy 01-12-2010 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ampelart (Post 3553195)

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why? The OP asked a question about how a new TC product operates. Taking a look at the CVA does not address his question:confused0024:

MountainDevil54 01-12-2010 12:03 PM

new model rifles need attention. beats making a new post on a new rifle.

SteveBNy 01-12-2010 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3553276)
beats making a new post on a new rifle.

Starting a new thread is not a difficult thing to do.
And is far better then derailing one with a very specific question pertaining to a particular rifle.

flounder33 01-12-2010 12:37 PM

MountainDevil54
Here is what you posted on the Greybeard sight: "keep it up swamp and i'll have to go to the headman for a report on you. You wont turn this into a crap trolling post like you always do. Stick to the main topic."
That sure was the pot calling the kettle black wasn't it?

MountainDevil54 01-12-2010 12:39 PM

what happens here and on gbo is another thing. Swampman trolls all over GBO and is on watch by the head guys.

theres no "flaming" going on here anyway, just talk of the new rifles coming out.

builder459 01-12-2010 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by SteveBNy (Post 3553273)
Please don't take this the wrong way, but why? The OP asked a question about how a new TC product operates. Taking a look at the CVA does not address his question:confused0024:

Amen,here we go again.now it's turned into a CVA pitch thread!go check the rifle out and call T/C and see what they have to say about the design.

mountaineer magic 01-12-2010 02:18 PM

I would rather have Total /Confidence than A Cheap Valueless Acquisition

Urban_Redneck 01-12-2010 03:07 PM

The SHOT Show opens next week I'm sure some first hand reports will be forthcoming.

I thought the archery fanboys were bad.... there's a line between pride of ownership and psychosis.

kb1 01-12-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by chetmarks (Post 3553351)
I would rather have Total /Confidence than A Cheap Valueless Acquisition

this does'nt sound original,i'm thinkin borecleaningweasel's tellin whut to write.:s201:..karl

mountaineer magic 01-12-2010 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ampelart (Post 3553228)
2010 Cabelas shooting catalog

top of page 128.
My opinion is that it is a bad move on the part of T/C but since S&W took over this is the type of thing I figured would happen. That's the way Corporations work, especially when competing for :confused0024: the Almighty dollar.

mountaineer magic 01-12-2010 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by chetmarks (Post 3553390)
top of page 128.
My opinion is that it is a bad move on the part of T/C but since S&W took over this is the type of thing I figured would happen. That's the way Corporations work, especially when competing for :confused0024: the Almighty dollar.

Ok after thinking this through I take back what I said.
At least this gun is made in the Good Ol U. S. of A. . I hope they sell millions of them.

mountaineer magic 01-12-2010 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by kb1 (Post 3553388)
this does'nt sound original,i'm thinkin borecleaningweasel's tellin whut to write.:s201:..karl

That's a possibilty . The thought just popped into my head, maybe it was the weasel:biggrin::biggrin: I guess that's why we should stop and think about what we say before actually posting it HUH?

Breechplug 01-12-2010 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by chetmarks (Post 3553399)
Ok after thinking this through I take back what I said.
At least this gun is made in the Good Ol U. S. of A. . I hope they sell millions of them.

So if I came to your house I would find everything made in the U.S.A., I think I have a few TC products like a Power Handle, Brush Set and Powder Measurer ect ,ect that all say Made In China on the back. And Im sure there are many more TC parts made outside the good old U.S.A. Unfortunate but true.Why do you have to Trash CVA's do you have a problem with them, I dont trash your TC's:poke::evil::fighting0007:
(BP)

mnprohunter 01-12-2010 04:36 PM

looks like no thrills, but a good entry level gun probably. I think its a damn smart move on TC's part...with a tough economy still, they will probably sell plenty of them.

SteveBNy 01-12-2010 06:18 PM

I would be interested in hearing how a swing breech works - never seen one.

sabotloader 01-12-2010 06:48 PM

SteveBNy

They call it a sliding breech and after Remington experiance with the 'swinging breech' i am not thinking it is a swinging breech - this is off the wall but i am wondering if the barrel slides away from the breech block?????

SteveBNy 01-12-2010 07:02 PM

Me bad - will be interesting to see what it really is.

tjj 01-12-2010 07:08 PM

I agree with MNPRO, they needed a somewhat more affordable rifle to compete with some of the other manufacturers less expensive models.

outdoorsmen 01-13-2010 04:01 PM

MountainDevil54 01-13-2010 04:23 PM

im having a hard time looking at the rifles with outdoorsmens Avatar pic :D

outdoorsmen 01-13-2010 04:41 PM

haha...keep your eye on the prize!!!!

lemoyne 01-13-2010 07:00 PM

sabotloader
Since we are having fun guessing I will venture one too.
To me the idea of a sliding block considering they will want economical processing would mean the block slides back over the hammer to clear enough space for priming and unpriming. I would guess it will run on rails and let the hammer back down on a bar so it can not fire and that you would have to pull the hammer back to fire it after the block is locked in position for safety sake.
Ti will be fun to see who's guess is closest. Lee

sabotloader 01-13-2010 07:10 PM

Lee

If you look at the picture in the Cabelas Shooting Catalog - you can sorta make out a lever on the right side rear of the reciever and actually kinda right beside the trigger - so you might be right. Although i was inclined to think it might release the barrel and forarm to slide forward.... The other thing it does not appear to have any side reciever metal showing at all - almost looks like a one piece stock - except i think i can see a break at the rear of the forearm..

Change the magnification on windows down in the bottom right to 400 and look athe the non camo gun right to the right of the trigger...

Breechplug 01-13-2010 07:18 PM

I looked it over good and as far as I can see it's a one piece stock. No Clues...
(BP)

NITEHAWKJS 01-13-2010 09:17 PM

By pulling the zoom up it looks like a two piece stock with a release on the side of the hammer block where it would break open in front of the trigger guard to have access to the barrel. It says in the description on cabela's that its a break open design. I may be wrong, but that how it looks like to me

sabotloader 01-14-2010 06:11 AM

NITEHAWKJS

It certainly would seem more natural to be a break open - but I wonder what slides????

Breechplug 01-14-2010 07:33 AM

I know this is about the new TC ML but on TC's web page there is no mention anywhere of this new ML, as with the new CVA Optima there is also no mention on CVA's web page either, what gives? Are these just made for Cabela's? I cant find info anywhere on either one.
(BP)