Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cant believe no blood??? >

Cant believe no blood???

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cant believe no blood???

Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default Cant believe no blood???

I read alot of articles on here regarding shockwave 250 grain bullets and their lack of bloodtrail. They shoot awesome out of my omega 100 gr 777 and this bullet give me 1-2 groups at 100 yds. dropped a high shoulder shot deer last yr in tracks 25 yds no need for bloodtrail. MY Son shot deer in ohio w/ gun initial blood at site of impact took out 1 lung and liver deer went 50 yds. I shot a decent buck at 50 yds from t stand bullet entered right shoulder took top of heart out and exited lower half of rib s on off side I swear on my life no blood at impact and no blood till I found deer 50 yds in thicket thank god for snow. The only blood I found was the slightest of mist and I mean slight like on hands and knees to see every jump, I would imagine frome nose or mouth since lungs and heart destroyed Exit wound twice the entrance why do yo figure no blood i cant figure it out I couldnt place a shot much better opinions please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

matt068

You are not the first to experiance this feat... Was it one of the ones with the solid tip or one with the flex tip...

I do not shoot pointy bullets so I do not know much about the SST/SW.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Spike

Happens to all of us some of the time. Had two this year early season that did the same. No blood until they dropped. Hole through both of them and good placement. Sometimes they just bleed inside and nothing where they are hit. Is worse when there is no snow. Mine were in the evening and right at dark. High weeds and no blood trail. Walked for 2 hrs and nothing until morning and too late then i the warm weather and coyote territory. Never lost 2 in the last 10 years but happened this year. Mine were found about 75 yds but not that night.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Buddy got a Triumph and we sighted it in this year, since he got a sample pack of TC Shockwaves (250gr yellow tip) this is what we used to sight it in, he also got a 30 pack of them from Wal-Mart.
His Triumph was sighted in perfect, 1"groups at 100yds, yet 2 Deer he hit just had some hair and no blood. We followed the tracks in the snow forever untill we were certain the deer was'nt going to bed or die, right away anyway. He is a great shot and the distances were both around 50-60yds. His third deer was the same but we had a few very small specks and that was it, followed it forever again and no deer.
I also am no Fan of (Pointy) Bullets, they do shoot nice at the range but when it comes to devestation they fall short. My Opinion is they either blow through the animal with such a small hole it plugs up with fat or matter, or they dont exit and the same happens.
Try some Barnes Expanders or XTP's you wont have this.
(BP)
Old 01-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am fortunate enough to hunt areas where I can typically see my deer go down. I shoot quite a few deer (3-6 per year) and in my experience with several different bullets it's not that unusual to find no blood. If you deflate the lungs on impact they will not aspirate the blood out the mouth/nose or wound. If the impact hole is not positioned for the heart to squirt it out or you ruin its pumping ability on impact there is no pressure to push it out.

Worst of all are high hits that miss the shoulder (which would typically drop them in their tracks) as the blood will pool in the bottom of the chest cavity.

Your deer only went 50 yards. This has to be acceptable performance from ANY bullet. No bullet can guarantee they will go anywhere shorter. I shot my buck this year at under 20 yards, frontal shot, cut the heart in half and hit both lungs, bullet cut a path of destruction all the way until it stopped in the hind quarter where it was recovered (325gr FTX). Yet that deer covered about 75 yards or so before he dropped.

If you hunt an area where 50 yds run is a problem, I suggest focusing on accuracy and placing the bullet in the shoulder blade over searching for another bullet because nothing is going to guarantee that.

FWIW I have shot a deer with a Barnes Expander shotgun slug that was recovered opened to the size of my palm, and there was no blood, it ran about 70 yds.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is no way a deer can take even a hard cast bullet through the vital organs and not die; I use quite a variety of cast bullets and took some big deer with them in IL, only one time did I have one go over 150 yds after he was hit. I have used SW for a long time and never lost a deer with them. They some times don't leave a good blood trail especially with a high hit but hit in the right place they rarely have gone 100 yds.
If you get a high in and out hit with any bullet the deer bleeds inside, a gut shot would be plugged up by the insides and not leave a good trail. Even so I have to agree that the blood trails from a shock wave fall short of what you would get from a Lehigh or a Nosler partition. A heart shot deer shot with a non-expanding bullet will go quite a way but shot that low they will leave a blood trail.
I wonder some times if some shots are not deflected by branches or something like that.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:24 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

if you have lost confidence in a bullet you should switch.i have had no problem with the sst/shockwave's for the 5 deer i've shot with them.this year i shot a deer with a
250gr. barnes tmz this was placed just like the sst's,just behind front leg in the lower
1/3 of the chest.this calm at the shot deer with the top of his heart gone and a broken leg still managed a 50yd. death run with no blood showing for 30yds.pretty common for a run and blood.after skinning this deer i really could'nt notice any more damage done by the barnes vs the sst's. the reason i was using the barnes is it's been the most accurate in the knight vision.i believe most deer are lost due to poor bullet placement not the bullet..........karl
Old 01-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are just so many things that can happen that cause no blood reguardless of a perfectly placed shot, and we just cant explain why.....I've had it happen more than once, all deer were found some went over 100yds with heart shots and complete pass throughs with No Blood, others dropped on the spot, some ran 30 yds. All with entrance and exit holes that you'd swear there's no way there could be no blood. Other's bled a 3 foot blood trail with the exact same placed shot.
(BP)
Old 01-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Spike

I had this happen to a doe the other year she went down on the spot got back up and ran ansd jumped into the corn field and i never did find her and there were 4 of looking and there was no blood when she went into the corn anywhere. This happens to diff people I hunt with too
Old 01-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I personally have never shot a deer with a Shockwave. And I have sure read a lot of horror stories just like what you are saying. But then I have seen deer shot with a 30-06 that did not bleed for 50 yards. After that of course, a blind person could have followed the trail.

You just never know what a wound is going to do until you find the deer. High shots, unless you are breaking a deer down, are dangerous to make and not always fatal. If you're not going to break the animal down, do a low heart shot. You know then that the deer is not going to run for miles, and with a low hit, they start to bleed sooner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.