Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Rookie that needs advice. >

Rookie that needs advice.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rookie that needs advice.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry all my computer got tired

I will be hunting for appox. 30 days. I have seen couple of used TCC Omegas at my local gun shop for under $300. What should I be looking for in a used gun?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

sjsfire

I read a post that the barrels on the wolf were deforming and blowing up. If this isn't true please inform me.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

sabotloader

With Knight going out of business will Parts become an issue in the future?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

What should I be looking for in a used gun?
Here's a pretty decent article dburns.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...un.html?cat=10
Old 01-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dburns51
sjsfire

I read a post that the barrels on the wolf were deforming and blowing up. If this isn't true please inform me.
no thats not true. Im sure some dummy may have blown one up with smokeless.

cva did have a recall in 95 and 1996 for a breech plug problem but thats it.

their quality these days is superb. On their new rifles like the optima elite, accura, apex and basically any rifle outfitted with the bergara barrel, these are high quality steel, the muzzleloader barrel steel is the same steel that they use on their centerfire barrels.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

And get yourself one of these.

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...ore-light.html
Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

semisane
Great artical thanks. Where do I get a bore light?

mountaindevil
It just goes to show you the net has some great info but it also has info that is just not true. Thanks again .
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

dburns51

A couple of points...

Wolf problems... I am not much concerned about the blow-up thoughts... those thoughts applied all the way acroos the CVA line after BPI took over, but if you read the manual and stay with in the the guidelines set in the manual you will be just fine. The guidelines are more restrictive than most ML's of the time, but still the Wolf will work and does work.

After all that being said the Wolf is not a ML that would be rated real high in quality - but it certainly would suffice for the occasional ML shooter. The Wolf is one a many CVA models of that time that would fit in these descriptions.

Knight... They have stopped making ML's and I am sure they are hoping as well as many of us that they will find a buyer and re-connect building ML's. In this economy it will be more than difficult. Knight service has a 2 year contract to coninue to supply parts and service - so they will be around for awhile longer. But when you get to look at a Knight DISC - there really is not much to go wrong... it is really simple gun with a great American Green Mountain barrel - actually a barreled action. The stocks are solid and rugged - not hollow. About the only thing that you would need to replace might be a breech plug but there is an alternative outlet for those also, and with the advent of the Lehigh Vent Liner - you do not eve need to buy a new breech plug - just replace the $5.00 vent liner.

The biggest thing you need to check on a use ML is the bore, as Semi said get some form of bore light. Anything else will be visible as you inspect the gun.

A used Omega is/would be a very good acquistion if you can find a stainless model - even a blued model with a good bore is a very good gun to have + even though used it has a lieftime warranty.

Again hope some of this helps...
Old 01-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

sabotloader

Thanks. I am looking for a ML that will take me through 30 days of hunting but wont break the bank. The used Omegas I am looking at are Stainless. I will have to look into the Knights.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Click here:

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...ore-light.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.