Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Renegade or Hawken? >

T/C Renegade or Hawken?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Renegade or Hawken?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again for the advice. It seems most (but not all) seem to feel the Renegade is a tad more field friendly, but the Hawken would sure look nicer on my wall. Guess I can't go wrong with either and I'll probably end up with whatever I get a better deal on.

Last edited by hubby11; 01-05-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

looks nicer on the wall but feels a lot worse on your shoulder
Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

looks nicer on the wall but feels a lot worse on your shoulder
Maybe - Maybe Not. Different people have different builds - shoulders, arms, necks, cheeks, etc. A Hawken might feel right nice to Hubby.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you plan on hunting with it the renegade.deer don't like shinny things lol.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Fork Horn

I found the Hawken to be down right painful to the shoulder if you shoot many heavy conicals. But it points and holds so steady that I love it. Had mine given to me. No one could get it to shoot accurately. Guess the barrel was abused in the past. Found that it likes the ballets and was accurate out to about 100 yards. Just cant bring myself to try and warranty the barrel.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Hey Hubby, I live and hunt in Va. and I use a Hawken Carbine. I have two, one is a 1 in 24" twist (.54 cal.) that shoots a Barnes MZ sabot and the other is 1 in 66" (.50 cal.) PRB gun. I love them both. The size is what got me hooked. The barrels are 20" and 21" and they are a dream to hump in the woods. This is one of them:

The one carbine I bought from Cabalas, but paid a princely sum of $399. However, I found the other one on an auction house site and only paid $179 for it. This gun is made by InvestArms of Italy. They are both shooters.

I don't have any experience with the Renegade, but did just get my hands on a TC Big Boar that is comparable with it. I am told the barrel of my gun was put in the Renegade stock. It also is a fine gun.

Bottom line is if you can get your hands on both and shoot them each, that should help in you selection. Or if you are as screwed up as the rest of us you will buy one each!!!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention they come with recoil pads. I will also be installing a Malcolm style scope in the .54 cal. It is a 3x scope and should go well with this gun.

Last edited by rafsob; 01-22-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

hubby
For one thing it depends very much on the shape of the butt plate. I have a hawken I built from plans drawn from an origimal and it is a dream to shoot, longer better balanced and the butt plate is flat and longer vertically. Lee