Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Omega TC  Dicks exclusive ??? >

Omega TC Dicks exclusive ???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega TC Dicks exclusive ???

Old 12-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Omega TC Dicks exclusive ???

I called Dicks sporting goods and they say they have a TC Omega in nickle , and hardwoods realtree thumbhole stock .
Only model number I can find close to the discription is 8993 .
The assosiate says Dicks model number is 8860 and its a Z5 ..
Anyone own one from there and whats the main differences in the standard Omega and the Z5 ??
Thanks for any input .... ps, on clearance for $374.97 , is this a decent price ...
Old 12-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Walmart also sells the Z5 and a lot of them are on year end sale right now there is a blue black at the local Walmart for less than 200. I personally am not impressed by a nickle coating on the out side of the gun if you want to spend some money on stainless steel it is on the inside to where it can do some good. I have had one of the Z5 for four years the are dollar for dollar one of the best buys in muzzle loaders, but if you want to spend the kind of money you mentioned you can get a Triumph and they are the best. Lee
Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tracker

I am not sure you saw my reply in your other thread so I'll bring a copy up here...

The gun Disck's has is probably not nickel... It is a grey Weathershield finish.

TRACKER

None of them should have a plastic trigger guard - it is an intregal part of the action of that gun.

There are several small differences between the Z5 Omega and a regular Omega and I guess they all add up...

Here is my take on the whole thing - if this is going to be a gun that is used on occasions for short hunting seasons or to extend your season the Z% will be great. If this is going to be a lifetime gun and a gun you are going to shoot a lot - hunting and target parctice - then go with the real Omega abd even then I would suggest the true stainless model - not the weather shield that looks like stainless... which now brings up another problem... if the price of the good Omega runs up in to the area of the price of a TC Triumph - go Triumph all the way...

Look online for Buds Gun Shop and compare prices there.... not that they are always the lowest but they are close....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/
Old 12-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default omega and Z5

Just trying to figure out the differences .
I,m not trying to rush but rebate ends 12/31/09 ..
As of now I like the thumbhole stock better ,
Gander wants $ 200 more for camo, thumbhole stock or $559 versus the one at dicks for $375 .
Dont want to have the price of a new rifle invested or I,d buy the Encore ..
Like to keep it at around $500 or so .
Realy like the looks of the Omega Nikon scope , but will put me at around $600 plus ...
Will only be used 1 or 2 weeks at most during early and late season ...
Thanks for the tips , very much appreciated ..
Old 12-31-2009, 02:41 AM
Fork Horn

Natchess shooting supply has the Knight T-Bolt in Camo for $249 on a winter Clearance.

Great gun!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cabelas has the black stock & blued barrel Triumph on sale for $349. $449.with the powder horn scope. The Triumph is probably the hottest selling muzzle loader on the market right now.

You can get a Nikon Omega scope at Natchess for $150. thats with out the BDC
& you still would be right at your limit of $500.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by stretch56
Cabelas has the black stock & blued barrel Triumph on sale for $349. $449.with the powder horn scope. The Triumph is probably the hottest selling muzzle loader on the market right now.

You can get a Nikon Omega scope at Natchess for $150. thats with out the BDC
& you still would be right at your limit of $500.

Not anymore, they are sold out and have been for over a month. I'm sure they will be getting more in the future though.....
Old 12-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default Picked up the Omega

After all the reveiws I read and herd I bought the Omega Z5 at Dicks Sporting Goods .
It is 50 cal, has the Thumbhole camo stock ,fiber optic sights ( although I,ll be getting a scope ) And also has the weather shield coating ..
Reg, $469.99 and marked down to $374.97 .
Gander has the same gunn only its stainless and has the grooved barrell for $569.99
Also has a $25. rebate , so I figure it was woth the extra .
Gander wants $359.99 for as plain jane black and black Omega .
Figure I,ll buy the Nikon Omega BDC Scope and I,ll be set .
I, m over my app. $500 or so limit , but I figured it was to good to pass up .

Question , what grain bullet are you guys shooting and what load works best ,
I was thinking 300 grain and I,m trying to locate some Blackhorn 209 powder ...
Thanks for the info ....Happy New Year....be safe...
Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

Congrats on your new rifle. I'm sure it will bring you a lot of enjoyment. 300 gr. bullets are a good choice. There are a lot of good choices. The high quality hunting bullets are kinda pricey. But worth the expence in my opinion. In case you weren't aware, many of the ML bullets are just re-packaged handgun bullets. They can be purchased in bulk at any place that carries reloading supplys. Or online. You are probably going to want .451 or .452 diameter bullets to start. Also sabots, which can be purchased in bulk. MMP and harvester are the major brands. BH is a great powder, just a little pricey. If it's not available, try 777 or pyrodex, I prefer 3-F. I'm sure others will add more good suggestions. Hope this helps, and shoot safe.

Last edited by tjj; 12-31-2009 at 07:35 PM.