Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Elite @ the Dinger Farm... >

Elite @ the Dinger Farm...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Elite @ the Dinger Farm...

Old 12-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Elite @ the Dinger Farm...

Well I finally got some time to take this new to me DISC Elite out and try to wring out some wrinkles. The gun is not pristine but it is not bad at all.

I took the Weaver bases off and installed some Warne Steel bases, pulled the Powderhorn off the Elite 50 and dropped it on the 45. I also spent a lot of time cleaning + running some JB's in the bore.

When I got it and inspected it - I was a bit worried - pulled the breech plug and it had some decent pits on it at the nose of the plug. I am thinking that a lot of real BP may have been shot from it. Then when I looked in the breech I really thought there might be pitting in there also - the rest of the bore was fine. Thought I would run some JB's and see what I might accomplish. After running the JB's the bore felt like a mirror, it was so smooth top to bottom, and the the riflings are still sharp as they will go through a patch in 10/12 storkes. Checked the breech again and the dulled area was still there. So I fashioned a small metal hook and fed it up inside and tried to scratch the pitting. Nothing it was smooth as glass using the wire hook as a feeler. Now I am convinced it is BP grease that has been fired into the bore on more than one occasion (another reason I do not like BP grease). So my conclusion is... it is a stain and i will eventually work it out.

Bore sighted the gun and then waited for an opportunity to shoot. Shot a pretty uneventual 25 yard target - it worked out that the bore site was very close, but my first scope adjutment @ 25 - I turned the darn thing the wrong direction - jees I hate it when I do that... but I got it.

I was going to shoot some BH - but I just hate wasting that expensive black gold - so the cheap me went with my normal T7.

Certainly not what I really wanted but for the first time shooting this gun I think it has some promise. I will continue to work with it...

I am sure on a better day i could do better but it was cold and the wind chill was way down there... Suppose to start snowing tonight and the rest of the week so I do not know when I will gt out with it again...
Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Start Mike, you'll get er. You mentioned you do NOT like BP Grease, it seems to make sence why, I never heard of anyone saying not to use it befor as I can remember. I use it sometimes but most of the time now YOU got me to use the Tefelon Tape, and I do. But the BP grease is a no no huh?? Will it cause any more damage than just a stain?
(BP)
Old 12-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

cold weather would have an effect on your shooting simply because of the temperature. I think it did pretty good for the first time out. When you start tweaking different charges and such I am sure you will make it come in better.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

BP grease is just not for me - a lot of folks really like it and it has been great for them. I just like the tape - it is Underclocked's fault - if he had not invented it I would still be using grease.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

When I went out to shoot I took a sweater and a fleece pull over and (tennis shoes) - thought that would be enough - cold is easier for me than heat... but after a few minutes out there in the cold and wind - it was taking its toll - and i refused to go home.... But you know when I would get on the target then on the trigger and stop breathing things still moved must have shivering a bit - oh well can not beat getting out to shoot....

The barrel did not heat up though...
Old 12-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
cayugad

When I went out to shoot I took a sweater and a fleece pull over and (tennis shoes) - thought that would be enough - cold is easier for me than heat... but after a few minutes out there in the cold and wind - it was taking its toll - and i refused to go home.... But you know when I would get on the target then on the trigger and stop breathing things still moved must have shivering a bit - oh well can not beat getting out to shoot....

The barrel did not heat up though...
Mike I know how you feel, I was gonna shoot the Triumph today but it was only 8 and a wind chill of 7 below. When I let My Lab out to Pee today it literally Froze solid in a few seconds, now it's even colder out! Cant shoot when your shiverin!
(BP)
Old 12-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

FIFTEEN DEGREES with a 10-15 mph WIND????? And I'm semisane? Don't know how you guys do it. That gun would have sat in my house 'til Al Gore arrived and convinced me it was warm outside.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:04 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

Tennis shoes? No wonder you couldn't get a better group.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
FIFTEEN DEGREES with a 10-15 mph WIND????? And I'm semisane? Don't know how you guys do it. That gun would have sat in my house 'til Al Gore arrived and convinced me it was warm outside.
15 degrees is warm, it was 8 earlier today and now it's 2. The worst part is when you have to clean your deer out and your amazed at how fast warm blood freezes. Or try sitting on stand for 5 hours in this, that's even worse......sometimes I pray for the Sun to go down so I can go home, deer or not.
But the best one was when It was so cold out and after being on stand for hours my hands were frozen (even with hand warmers) I could'nt unzip my fanny pack to get my truck keys out, when I finally got them out I could'nt hold them to turn the keys in the door (Old Truck Not Keyless entry) I did eventually than God!
(BP)
Old 12-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dang Breechplug, if you can't do things like unzip a fanny pack I guess you have to get used to peeing in your pants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.