Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I may sell a muzzleloader- do I have to ship thru FFL? >

I may sell a muzzleloader- do I have to ship thru FFL?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I may sell a muzzleloader- do I have to ship thru FFL?

Old 12-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default I may sell a muzzleloader- do I have to ship thru FFL?

If I sell a muzzleloader via classified, do the same person to person FFL requirements apply? My guess is no since you can buy one from cabelas direct. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to know your local laws but no, they do not need to go thru an FFL. In VA, I can sell a pistol, centerfire rifle, etc thru the classifieds w/o going thru an FFL, as long as it's within state lines. When you ship across state lines, that's when it becomes an FFL issue.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

saltflyz

Depends on the State... I think there are now 5 states that is is a requirement
Old 12-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My P.O. in MS made me ship through a FFL and to a FFL when I shipped a gun to TX last week.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help. I am in VA, so judging by post #2 we are a pretty lax gun law state. I may just try to sell locally.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Muzzleloaders do not fall in the same catagory as modern rifles.You dont need a background check to buy one.If its a privite sale you can ship direct to person.Would check local laws in your state 1st.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by saltflyz
Thanks for the help. I am in VA, so judging by post #2 we are a pretty lax gun law state. I may just try to sell locally.
If you're in central VA, just list it in the Mid-Virginia Trading Post www.midvatradingpost.com

As far as VA being a lax gun law state, well, we still have plenty of intrusive gun laws on the books that have no business being there.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in MS the USPS told me I had to ship a center fire rifle with the bolt removed via a FFL holder to a FFL holder. I just bought a new TC Pro Hunter muzzleloader at my local gun shop the day before Christmas and they did a back ground check on me before they would sell it to me.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

SJAdventures

Can you change barrels on the pro-hunter? I actually do not know... If so it qualifies as a Firearm not a ML even if you bought it with a muzzleloader barrel on it.

saltflyz

I can tell you that I send ML's via the post office to almost any state in the continental US without a problem... + UPS will carry them also.

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-27-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Spike

Exactly right about any gun that has a barrel that can be changed to something other than muzzle loader. Is why Cabela's don't include them in their catalogs. Have to go to the store to buy it or a dealer. I also wondered about selling muzzle loaders. I know most guns are shipped ups or Fedex as the post office is real strict about it. Had a glock stolen at a UPS hub and then used in a crime. Sent back as a recal fix. Was a real mess. Always take out the ins. even if it does take forever to get your money back. Wish someone would post the states you can't send a ML to. I know some catalogs state some that are not shipable to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.