Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I may sell a muzzleloader- do I have to ship thru FFL? >

I may sell a muzzleloader- do I have to ship thru FFL?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I may sell a muzzleloader- do I have to ship thru FFL?

Old 12-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
SJAdventures

Can you change barrels on the pro-hunter? I actually do not know... If so it qualifies as a Firearm not a ML even if you bought it with a muzzleloader barrel on it.

saltflyz

I can tell you that I send ML's via the post office to almost any state in the continental US without a problem... + UPS will carry them also.

Your most likely correct in that the TC can change barrels giving it centerfire firearm potential. Never thought of that.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

The TC Pro-Hunter is an Encore. Muzzleloader Encores are switch barrel rifles. They are treated like centerfire rifles by the ATF.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Pure muzzleloaders that cannot be made into a shotgun or centerfire rifle with a barrel change are not classified as firearms. You do not have to fill out the paperwork and they can be shipped USPS, or UPS without any special requirements. As mentioned there are a few states that have more strict requirements that also include muzzleloaders. The ones I can think of immediately that I think have special rules are New Jersey and Illinois. Arizona is not one of them. Probably California might be another since they have pretty strict requirements for most guns of any type. By the way taking a real "firearm" apart does not get you out of the requirements. The action or frame that carries the serial number is the item that cannot be shipped without going through a FFL holder. As you might notice a lot of the muzzleloaders do not even have a serial number. It helps when shipping a pure muzzleloader to not specify that it is a gun. If you must specify something make sure to call it a muzzleloader and be sure to emphasize that it is not a "firearm". My USPS does not even ask and I have shipped three in the last couple of years, and received two the same way.