Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Traditions ramrod question:PLEASE HELP >

Traditions ramrod question:PLEASE HELP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions ramrod question:PLEASE HELP

Old 12-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Traditions ramrod question:PLEASE HELP

I need som help immediately!

I just took apart my Traditions 50 cal Pa Pellet for final preps for tomorrows late season opener. I noticed that upon dissassemble that a black metal clip identified as the buttpad was on the floor. I had no idea where it goes. The manual sucks and the drawing for placement is just as bad. I assembled the gun and thought I could do without, but I slid the ramroad back into the gun and It will not stay in the gun. I believe that it is used to help the ramrod stick inside the gun, however, I cant figure it out. Can someone please help me?

Kelly
Old 12-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Kelly

remove the stock ..slide the ramrod back into the gun ...on the ramrod u have a groove that is to hold the ramrod in place ..the metal clip is riveted to the bottom of ur barrel ..sorry i don't have a diagram ,but others will surely chime in ..
Old 12-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

it sounds like the ramrod retaining spring. It goes on the bottom of the barrel. Normally they are screwed or there is a pop rivet holding them in place. The butt pad is on the very end of the stock, where your shoulder meets the rifle. It would have nothing to do with your ramrod. Or I am way off without a drawing.

To hold the ramrod in place if you can not figure it out, slide it into the thimble ribs and then take a rubber band and go over the muzzle and ramrod. I do that anyway most of the time when hunting.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Kelly
i just had a look at the manual and believe the black metal clip is there to hold ur ram rod in position ..if i look at the drawing i can see it is not screwed or riveted to the barrel .remove the barrel and place the black metal part inbetween the wood stock and the barrel ....the rear recoil pad has nothing to do with that piece.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Guys,

Unless my reading is poor, I read the online manual and the piece was identified as the buttpad. Maybe the piece was misidentified or a typo. I played with that piece for hours. As of now, the piece is not in the gun, but I agree that it is definitely used to hold the ramrod in place. I tried to put it in closer to the frizen/flash and it was moving around alot. Maybe it needs to be moved closer to the end of the gun to create enough friction to hold the ramrod in place. I guess this is my fault for taking my gun apart the day before pa's late season opener. anyway, thanks to all of those who helped me...

Kelly
Old 12-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds to me like you lost a screw from your barrel's underrib. This screw holds that little metal clip which in turn holds your ramrod in place. For a quick fix, you can get by by probably taking out the middle underrib screw and putting it in the hole near the stock with the clip in place.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Remington Genesis, made by Traditions. The spring metal clip retains the ramrod. It attaches to the barrel with a screw or rivot, as noted by others. It does not just slide in place. Maybe yours has snapped off? Should be pretty easy to fix or replace. If it has to wait, use the rubber band idea.