Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Which round in a 1:48 >

Which round in a 1:48

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which round in a 1:48

Old 12-29-2009, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned 3 1:48 twist guns, all T/Cs. They have all shot great with Maxiballs (the 370s). Maxihunters shot OK, but not as good as Maxiballs. Buffalo bullets were OK too. One shot REALs acceptably. It may have been possible to improve accuracy with other bullets by varying the charge and testing things like felt wads, etc., but since the Maxiballs shot so well, I never really messed with it.

100 grains of Pyrodex and a 50 or 54 caliber Maxiball is a mean load for deer.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
I've owned 3 1:48 twist guns, all T/Cs. They have all shot great with Maxiballs (the 370s). Maxihunters shot OK, but not as good as Maxiballs. Buffalo bullets were OK too. One shot REALs acceptably. It may have been possible to improve accuracy with other bullets by varying the charge and testing things like felt wads, etc., but since the Maxiballs shot so well, I never really messed with it.

100 grains of Pyrodex and a 50 or 54 caliber Maxiball is a mean load for deer.
not to go into great detail, i talk a lot at times.
you are right on 370 maxi-ball in 1-48 twist.if people would stay with that bullet vrs the MAXI-HUNTERS ,they would save themselves a lot of trouble.that bullet is perfect length for the 1-48 twist.
we found that geox 2f or 3 f is best powder for a .50 cal flintlock.
around 70 /80 grains is range with the 370 MAXI-BALL with wad.3f is hotter so it may shoot better at lower range .i use 3f now ,for 46 years used 2f.
i do use powerbelt 295/348 do to its easier to load in cold.both shoot real good with around 80 grs of 2f ...............the 348 is as close as you can get to length of the 370 maxi-ball......nice thing about a powerbelt is you dont have to load it hot to get it to open.THATS A GREAT THING........it has hollow point .

this will make you a MUCH better shot.less smoke, less kick makes your flinching almost disappear.i know it has improved my shooting a lot.i can notice a difference in kick from a 348 pb vrs 370 maxi-ball with same charge, say 80 grs........
you can even go to 70 grs with powerbelt and its a sweet shooting gun and still kill a nice buck with low charge.

i see young hunters that have to load like 90 grs to 110 grs in their flintlocks.they seem to think more power is going to get them a deer.well you should see them shoot those heavy loads at range.i get laugh everytime i see it,hat flying off and barrel coming up in air,rubbing their shoulder saying OUCH and hitting target 6 inchs to right and 10 high.

BOY, CAN I TALK AT TIMES..............
Old 12-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another good one is the 460 gr "no excuse bullets" conical with 80-85 gr pyrodex,extremely accurate bullet.