Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Late Season ML Success/ added pics >

Late Season ML Success/ added pics

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Late Season ML Success/ added pics

Old 12-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Late Season ML Success/ added pics

Im gonna try and make this short. Bow Season went by with me passing up many Bucks and Does in hopes of getting 3 of the 150+ Class Bucks that never came closer than 40yds. Shotgun Season was the Least Snowiest November here in N.Y. in over 125 years, no snow, also it was warn, rainy and windy. The deer did'nt move much at all only at night and it only got worse. I did fill My Wifes Doe Tag with a 136lb Doe, that was it.
So with our Late ML Season Opener and all of my Tags left and finally some Snow and COLD Weather I was exited! Opening Day of our Late ML Season I Hunted during the hours of 11am-2pm as the deer were moving then and not in the morning or night. You could sit on stand all morning and not see a deer, go home eat lunch and be back on stand at 2pm and not see a deer......so I folled them and Hunted when they moved. On the first day of the Opener at 1:25 PM I heard deer walking in the woods, I was in stand at the edge of a un-picked Cron Field, I saw deer comming through the wood to the Corn, A Big Doe stepped out, looked things over and went roght to the Corn. Broadside feeding at 50yds I let the smoke fly.....she kicked both hind feet in the air, ran 30yds down the edge of the corn, jumoed a drainage ditch, stopped, looked around then ran into the woods. I was worried as I thought things did'nt look right with her stopping and looking.
I got sown walked over to the hit sight, one drop of blood and hair, that was it...I followed the tracks in the snow about 30 yards, no blood! I then looked where she jumped the ditch and looked around befor she ran into the woods, there was a blood trail spraying out 3 feet wide....GOOD! I looked in the woods and there she was about 25yds, dead. 1st deer, Doe 111lbs.
The next Day I was sitting by a apple tree and my Buddie was sneaking and peeking in the woods next to me when a Doe came trotting out quartering twords me, I let her get about 50 yards from me and shouted, HEY! She stopped, I shot, dead deer No.2, Big Doe 104lbs.
The next Day I was in the woods where I got My first Doe, I was sitting by my Favorite tree by a good deer run, my buddy was sneaking and peaking again, he radioed me deer were comming my way, I got ready.....2 doe followed by a 4pt Buck came running, I again yelled HEY! they stopped, I shot, dead Deer No3, 4pt Buck 108lbs. Today is Friday and I sill have till Tuesday untill it's over, plus I still have a (Either Sex Tag) so now my freezer is mostly full and now I can hope for a BIg Buck with 4 days to go.
Also in another post there were talks of the Hornaday XTP Mag Bullets and there preformance, well all three of my deer were shot with them and one of the pic's here is a Doe shot with the XTP Mag and the entrance Hole was about 3" in diameter. the bullet was a shoulder shot, lung, complete pass through, but it hit bone and also hit the paunch with part of the bullet.
The Setup used on all Deer was the CVA ACCURA 50cal. 240gr XTP Mags, 105gr's of Pyrodox RS and a T7 Primer. The ACCURA also has the Leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scope on her.
Also thank's to Sabotloader for posting my pics for me, Thank's Mike!
(BP)

Last edited by Breechplug; 12-23-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Im Done!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

BP

Here is your picture.... Hven't read the story yet so I'll post this then read....

Old 12-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

stackem up like cordwood!! Good shootin!! Lottsa fine eating there!!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

What a difference a coupla days make. I remember you worrying about having all those tags to fill and season almost over. CONGRATS. Good eating there.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gearheart
What a difference a coupla days make. I remember you worrying about having all those tags to fill and season almost over. CONGRATS. Good eating there.
You got that right, what a difference cold weather makes for deer movement. In the pic Im at home, the deer were taken where the snow stays at higher elevations. I had my digital camer with me at the time of all the deer harvest and wanted better pics of me and the deer with the snow where they were taken, but my camera does'nt like 11 degrees I guess, it would'nt work, even with hand warmers in a zip-lock bag with it. The only bad thing was we got that snow storm everyone got, then for 2 days ig got warm, 40 degrees, then rained, then COLD and snow. So there is a layer of ICE on top of the snow, this really kills trying to sneak up on deer in the snow as they hear you for a long way off. So we have to sit on stand and let one of our hunting partners that cant sit still walk around and get the deer moving, I dont have a problem with that. The seasons almost over and a little scent in the woods dont matter now.
(BP)
Old 12-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Dominant Buck

That sure looks like a freezer full to me... nice shooting.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

Nice shootin. Looks like a busy weekend for the butcher.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Great shooting...XTP mags is one of the sabots I am going to try this offseason as well....I agree with the cold weather...MN deer season was slow in the hot weather and no snow...but what a difference snow and cold makes...great hunting and good shooting, good luck on bangin the big one!!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:56 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

congrats on the trio
Old 12-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Here is your next picture.... Nice looking animals....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.