Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
T/C Pro Hunter (Endeavor) Hang-Fire >

T/C Pro Hunter (Endeavor) Hang-Fire

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Pro Hunter (Endeavor) Hang-Fire

Old 12-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Spike

Default T/C Pro Hunter (Endeavor) Hang-Fire

Had two very rare hang-fires yesterday afternoon from my T/C Endeavor. As a result both animals were hit poorly and neither was recovered. I was tossing and turning all night trying to figure out what casued the hang-fires in this ordinarily reliable gun. I have NEVER had a hang-fire on the range with this gun.

Loads were two 777 pellets, 250 gr Shockwaves and Remington Clean-bore 209 primers. The gun was cleaned spotless before loading. Breech plug and bore were blown out with compressed air before re-assembily to ensure any moisture was gone. The gun had been loaded four days ago and had been kept cold between hunts.

I called T/C today and was told the primer/pellets was not the issue. They said they suggest Remington & CCI primers and said the 777 pellets were ok too. They also suggested I send the gun for inspection.

I can understand the possibility of the first hang-fire, but a second? This is driving me crazy. Help please-
Old 12-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dark side down? Do not T7 pellets have the black powder "booster" on one end? Not a pellet shooter so not sure of this.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:31 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

i think the pellets are more suspect than anything else.i've had hangfires during hunting season too,but that was just shooting the load out.i have'nt had another since i switched to loose 777 or blackhorn
Old 12-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

No dark side on T7 pellets...

deroche117

Just a question, even though you blew it out, did you pop a couple of primers before loading? Doing this really clears the BP, and it does not take much oil residue to stop the ignition?
Old 12-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is weird you should mention this.......last night while Hunting with my Buddy, he's shooting a TC Triumph TC Shock Waves and T7 Pellets with Remington Kleen Bore Primers. I heard him shoot,,,,,,it sounded like fffffffffffet.....BOOOOOOOM. I knew instantly that something was'nt right, it sounded like a hang fire to me. I called him on the Walkie Talkie and he said he shot at a Buck but the Deer did'nt show any signs if a hit and the ran off. He looked in the Snow for sign for awhile and there was none, a clean miss.
Today he shot off a few rounds to gain some confidence as he's new to ML and he's already shot at 2 deer and missed both. I Inspected his ML to make sure all was well and swabed and loaded it for him then let him shoot. Well the second shot was another Hang Fire???? I took out the breech plug, looked the ML over, swabbed it again and reloaded. Next shot was fine, so was the second......then on the third shot another Hang Fire???? No explanition for it execpt the T7 Pellets. Any Suggestions???
(BP)
Old 12-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

I nkow you know that to moisture on a swab will kill a ML so not even going there... but I can tell you pellets can ffffst. They really do absorb moisture - thats why I shoot loose - I think it is more dependable....

Did you happen to shoot any loose powder from the gun?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

This year in VA during veterans week it rained hard every day. I taped the end of my barrel and shot out every evening never had a problem. Pellets... pyrodex 100g. I never have trusted any powder when it comes to moisture issues, i figure change it out daily.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Breechplug

I nkow you know that to moisture on a swab will kill a ML so not even going there... but I can tell you pellets can ffffst. They really do absorb moisture - thats why I shoot loose - I think it is more dependable....

Did you happen to shoot any loose powder from the gun?
Mike, no I did'nt try loose powder, Im getting down on mine and our local shops are sold out, so I just used what my friend had, pellets. As for the mositure issue I inspected the barrel and breechplug and swabbed and dry patched the barrel plus I recleaned the breechplug. Also after his third shot there should have been no way of moisture in the barrel, or even after his first second shot. Im stumped on this one. I can only think the pellets are the cause......I just thought of this....he keeps his BP ML and stuff, pellets, Sabots ect out on his barn. It has been COLD, low single didgets at night and teens during the day. In the morning when and if we meet there he starts his wood stove in the barn for the morning get-togeather, then the fire burns out and it gets cold in there again. Could this hot, cold, hot, cold with the wood fire barn issue be causing the pellets to absorbe moisture when it gets warm in there??? Could be huh? I never thought of that.
And Im not sure why he keeps his ML stuff out there execpt his wifes PMS in the morning when we show up so he likes to be quiet and have all his stuff out there as not to disturb her (women) LOL and no offence twords women I love them! that's why were out in the barn.
(BP)
Old 12-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Spike

Moisture would have been my first thought however the second hang-fire, seconds after my first shot, is what really stumped me. When I cleaned the barrel/breech plug I used the T/C #13 cleaner and no oil then compressed air. I did run one bore butter pre-lubed patch down the barrel after I assured it was dry. The breech plug was as clean as a whistle when held up to the light.

Speaking of the weather....it was really cold...I mean really cold on stand yesterday afternoon. Could that possible played a factor with pellets? The gun is loaded with real black powder now as the only thing I can think to blame is the pellets. I have no freakin idea?

Oh ya... the only warming the gun saw over the four days it remained loaded was when it rode in the front seat next to me between my hunting area and home......at ten to fifteen minute ride. I didn't think that was long enough for the gun to get warm then cold again but maybe it was. ????????

Last edited by deroche117; 12-18-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:43 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

A trick that Sabotloader passed along was to use a 1/8" drill bit. Spin it into the breechplug by hand and you'll be amazed how much carbon is built up in it. I'd also try a cci-209m primer. The primers you are using made a mess of my PH breechplug. Just blowing out the flash channel with air doesn't get all the gunk out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.