Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
thunderhawk did some barking on opening day in n.y. >

thunderhawk did some barking on opening day in n.y.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

thunderhawk did some barking on opening day in n.y.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default thunderhawk did some barking on opening day in n.y.

I was out on Monday and took a doe with the inline :I was lucky only because I left the flints for my flinter at home in a another bag.The doe I took I use my thunderhawk approx: 7 months or would say veal on the hoof.I used the Hornady 300 XTP Mag: bullet behind 85 grains of triple 777 I think the construction of the XTP mag: need more powder I could not believe my eye the bullet was found in the snow yes it retain all it weight also did mushroom but I was not impressed for some reason.I was hunting the real thick stuff the doe was to my right the shot about 65 yards,The shot I think hit a sapling and was diverted from a dead center lung shot to the last rear rib into the lower part of the stomach.I did track the deer after the shot found a few specks of dark blood but said I would return in a hours or so too see if she did bed down.I went to the cabin made some coffee and in about a hour I went back to start to track her I did find her about 75 yards from were I first shot it and found the bullet must of cut a artery did go threw the lower stomach and stop just before the rear leg.The bullet was clean as a whistle I only think she turned on me before I pulled the trigger or a branch was nicked that threw the shot off.I found the 300 grain bullet to mushroom perfect and peel back about 1/2 way and did stay together
Old 12-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Dominant Buck

that is going to be good eating. Way to fill a tag.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

VEAL ON THE HOOF
Old 12-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

That a dandy chunky little gal Lonewolf.

I found the 300 grain bullet to mushroom perfect and peel back about 1/2 way and did stay together
A perfect mushroom with a stem - can't ask a bullet to do any more than that. I'd stick with that load of 85 grains T7.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

I will post the picture when I did the bullet out of my loading gear bag
Old 12-16-2009, 04:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by lonewolf5348

I was out on Monday and took a doe with the inline :I was lucky only because I left the flints for my flinter at home in a another bag.The doe I took I use my thunderhawk approx: 7 months or would say veal on the hoof.I used the Hornady 300 XTP Mag: bullet behind 85 grains of triple 777 I think the construction of the XTP mag: need more powder I could not believe my eye the bullet was found in the snow yes it retain all it weight also did mushroom but I was not impressed for some reason.I was hunting the real thick stuff the doe was to my right the shot about 65 yards,The shot I think hit a sapling and was diverted from a dead center lung shot to the last rear rib into the lower part of the stomach.I did track the deer after the shot found a few specks of dark blood but said I would return in a hours or so too see if she did bed down.I went to the cabin made some coffee and in about a hour I went back to start to track her I did find her about 75 yards from were I first shot it and found the bullet must of cut a artery did go threw the lower stomach and stop just before the rear leg.The bullet was clean as a whistle I only think she turned on me before I pulled the trigger or a branch was nicked that threw the shot off.I found the 300 grain bullet to mushroom perfect and peel back about 1/2 way and did stay together
Anytime the bullet does its job and you do yours, you should be impressed.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

I drop the bullet on the scale was 275 grain left from a 300 grain XTP Mag:Hornady
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/lonewolf5347/HORNADY300GRAINMAG002.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/lonewolf5347/HORNADY300GRAINMAG001.jpg
I feel the bullet needed more FPS I shoot 85 grains of triple but I feel recoil to me is sharp.I have loaded the same bullet with real B/P 115 grains of 3F goex and shoot it with no problem,I wonder what is the difference between the two different powders FPS
Old 12-17-2009, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

The second picture looked better than the first. I thought that the mags were better at higher velocities and to stick with the non mags in that range? Also, it's my understanding that barrel length has a lot to do with muzzle loader velocities as it continues to burn down the barrel. I know my old Thunderhawk has a very short barrel. Not sure that would make a difference until you get up there in powder, but just a thought. I miss my light weight Thunderhawk. Several years ago, I shot a buck on the last day of the season, put the gun in its case and forgot all about it until the following season. It still shoots good enough for inside 70 yds or so, but it's damn ugly to look at the pitting around the nipple on that nickel barrel.

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

I am going to try the speer 250 grain gold dots for next year.
I think the hornady mag: could use more punch or more powder I only shoot the 85 grains max: in the thunderhawk because it can kick like a mule I would say it must be around 6 1/2lbs max and has a 24' barrel :I love the gun just can't see my self parting with it.I also llike the feel of real walnut in my fingers.I never had it fail me rain,sleet,snow I use the Rws 1075+ caps with a t/c flame thrower nipple.
I also have taken a few large deer using the silverlighting in 300 grain man they drop them were they stand with 85 grains of triple but ot is a soft HPBT bullet all lead.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:03 AM
Spike

Lone wolf, from handgun hunting def. looks like that bullet aint going fast enough. Think your idea of gold dot is the way to go. And nice tender doe!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.