Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Problem keeping sighted in >

Problem keeping sighted in

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Problem keeping sighted in

Old 12-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Problem keeping sighted in

Let me run this by you folks. Back in oct I shot at a nice buck with my optmia elite at 45 yards. When the smoke cleared his was gone and I couldnt find any sign what so ever of a hit. I couldnt believe that I had missed such a chip shot so I shot my rifle on paper. It was shooting 7 inches high. Well we have a 3 day ml season opening next sat so I figured I had better check it again, 7 inches high again. Hmmmmmm check my bases and rings nothing wrong there, same load and bullets. I adjusted the scope and she dialed right in with no problems. Could it be just a coincidence or something else going on?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd give her a few more shots after she's resighted in to see if it holds zero. If it holds zero after say another 10 shots then I'd say your good to go. If after a few shots you start to go high again then I'd say the scope may be the problem.
(BP)
Old 12-13-2009, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did shoot 5 times after sighting in and it held. Strange that it was exactly 7 inches high again.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:52 AM
Fork Horn

Just a thought, did you change power settings on your scope? At times (seldom tho) settings can change point of impact (scope flaw) Temp. change when loading components could be a problem, Clean versus dirty barrel , Different kind of powder? pressure change on loading?
RC
Old 12-13-2009, 03:31 AM
Fork Horn

What scope do you have mounted??
Old 12-13-2009, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nikon buckmaster 3x9
Old 12-13-2009, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is a few things I would check, on a break open style of rifle the locking mechanism can cause these kind of problems if it is breaking in and has any burrs or dirt of any kind where it locks together. Be sure it is seating all the way all the time. The scope mounts, check the torque, the rings make sure that one of the rings is not right up against the adjuster mounts for changing wind-age and elevation; scopes react badly to this sometimes. look at all your bedding points where the stock and the mechanism come together if one of them is loose it can cause your problem. Are you using the same measure and sabots all the time? Is your BP carboned up? Look at the end of your barrel is the button scratched or dented? These are the first things I would check. Lee
Old 12-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Well this is a great post because I never heard of a scope doing this before. I have had them a few inches off, but attributed that usually to me.

If I had to guess, is this a quick release scope? If so, check the amount you tighten down your rings. Other then that I have no break open unless you call my cam mounted Remington a break open.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lee I will check the locking mechanism, that is something that I haven't paid much attention to. Loads and bullets are the same. End of the barrel is fine, no dents or scratches. The rings are even spaced on all sides, so there shouldn't be any torque problems there. No quick release Dave, solid mounts. Not really sure what is going on here, but I'm gonna shoot again in the morning to see if its still on. Something that I thought about is when the gun is put back together after cleaning the pin is what aligns it up. If something is wrong with alignment will that cause this problem? The scope being mounted on the barrel was making me think that it wouldnt, right or wrong? I should have mentioned that windage was perfect the problem was elevation alone. Also this is something new, I have had this gun for 3 years with no problems. Just started this season, it cost me a nice buck would hate to have that repeated. Might just have to use the ole trusty white or rem 700.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Has Batchief been to your house?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.