Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura Problems?

Old 12-16-2009, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Be careful removing the hammer spur.
Mine would not budge and it broke off of my Optima.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:31 AM
ogg
Fork Horn

mine wont budge either..doesnt really bother me anyways.I just wondered if it could be done but I guess not.....and if someone could post a picture of their accura's plug with the teflon tape on it ,that would be very helpful for me.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ogg
mine wont budge either..doesnt really bother me anyways.I just wondered if it could be done but I guess not.....and if someone could post a picture of their accura's plug with the teflon tape on it ,that would be very helpful for me.
ogg, sorry for the advice on the Breechplug Hammer Extension, I just ass umed it was switchable as bith sides of the hammer are threaded, you'd think you could for lefty's.
Also (Sabotloader) has a picture of the Breechplug already on this post, it has (white tefelon tape) on it, it on the page befor this one.
(BP)
Old 12-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ogg, I don't have one specifically for the Accura, but it would be the same process. Sabotloader deviates from the above as he overlaps the nose then folds that down neatly over the flat of the nose. Whether you overlap or not, just start at the nose end the follow the threads as neatly as you can around the plug without too much overlap over each previous wrap. When the threads end, you stop and cut it off (or just cut a piece to length before you start but it's hard to guess the right length if you haven't done it). You can use thumb pressure to seat the tape into the threads as you wrap, but don't use too much pressure - you'll cut the tape if the plug is new.

Oh, and never wind up with the tape on your finger.

That extension IS claimed to be reversible. I've never had the need so haven't tried. It almost looks as if the open hole in the end might accept a hex wrench?? Left-hand threads in any case. There may be some thread sealer on it which could make removal difficult.

Last edited by Underclocked; 12-16-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ogg

Here is what I am doing... as you can see UC did the illustrating for me - mine was pretty crud....

This is an example of the overwrap I put on the nose of the BP... Really does not matter if you cover the flash hole - if you pop a cap before loading it clears the flash hole in a jiffy

Lok carefully how the tape is worked into the threads of the BP - if you do this it installs a lot better....

and one last picture.... This is a Remington plug.... It just so happens on the Remington the tape comes back out when you take the BP out on most guns it does not. Then you use a bore brush to reach up in and get it out.

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-16-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Ogg

Here is what I am doing... as you can see UC did the illustrating for me - mine was pretty crud....

This is an example of the overwrap I put on the nose of the BP... Really does not matter if you cover the flash hole - if you pop a cap before loading it clears the flash hole in a jiffy

Lok carefully how the tape is worked into the threads of the BP - if you do this it installs a lot better....

and one last picture.... This is a Remington plug.... It just so happens on the Remington the tape comes back out when you take the BP out on most guns it does not. Then you use a bore brush to reach up in and get it out.

Mike, you say you only go around the breechplug one time with the tape? when I do mine I usually go around twice....is the double wrap of tape too much and will it come apart while being threaded? When I remove mine it usually is still pretty much all there. Also I have yet to try the overlap of the fire-hole, was I defeating the purpose of the tape by not covering the fire-hole?

p.s. I still cant find the PINK Teflon Tape anywhere, they look at me like Im nut's!
(BP)
Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned

i use 2 wraps at the front of my accuras plug and then just one wrap on the rest of it
Old 12-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

[quote]Mike, you say you only go around the breechplug one time with the tape? when I do mine I usually go around twice....is the double wrap of tape too much and will it come apart while being threaded? [quote]

I do only go around one time, but I select the tape thickness that best works with the gun. You can tell if it is to thick - it will not screw in well and you will feel the tape balling up. Then to check your tape job use a light to look down the bore, make sure you can see tape all the way around the breech plug at the bottom of the bore. If you see tape all the way around you will have a positive seal.

When I remove mine it usually is still pretty much all there.
That is a + for you - makes it a lot easier to clean everything up.

Also I have yet to try the overlap of the fire-hole, was I defeating the purpose of the tape by not covering the fire-hole?
No, I do not think you are defeating the purpose... my point is if it gets coverered it is no big deal becasue the first primer you pop will blow it open.... I think it is important to cover the lip on the top of the breech plug and for the tape to stay in place until it meets the flange in the barrel. Remember you are only trying squeeze the tape between the two flanges - not crush or cut the tape.

p.s. I still cant find the PINK Teflon Tape anywhere, they look at me like Im nut's!
I get it at Lowes, Home Depot, and my local building supply... the white tape can be found in the plumbing supplies and the pink tape is 3 mils thicker than the white and is also used in plumbing. tape..

http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/...with+PTFE.html

Here is the pink tape...

http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/...with+PTFE.html

Hope some of this helps...

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-16-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:09 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

well today was my first time with my Accura at the range and my first time EVER shooting a muzzleloader.I went to walmart and they only had 2 boxes of 200 grain Shockwaves left...those were the only muzzleloader bullets they had.Everything else wass sold out becasue they had them all for $5 a box .There were 4 guys in line infront of me and they were buying them all up but im glad I got 2 packs atleast and they only had pyrodex pellets winchester primers so thats what I got.I started at 35 yards on the first shot and it was hitting a touch high but it was straight so I moved back to 50 and it was dead on the second shot without any sight adjustments.Fired a 3rd and 4th and got a 1 inch group.Moved back to 75 yards and fired 3 more and got a 2 inch group...not to bad for me especially since it was my first time shooting a ML'er.I absoluetly love my muzzloader now.Im hooked for life I think .The kick on the gun was more of a slow push and was not really noticeable.I cleaned it every 2 shots and didnt let it cool down between shots.I probly could have got better groups if I let it cool down and adjusted the sights a little but its good enough for me right now(tommorows our 2nd shotgun season and im using my accura)Cleanup was easier than I thought it would be too.Sorry no pics but next time I go out shooting I will definatley take some pictures.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ogg
well today was my first time with my Accura at the range and my first time EVER shooting a muzzleloader.I went to walmart and they only had 2 boxes of 200 grain Shockwaves left...those were the only muzzleloader bullets they had.Everything else wass sold out becasue they had them all for $5 a box .There were 4 guys in line infront of me and they were buying them all up but im glad I got 2 packs atleast and they only had pyrodex pellets winchester primers so thats what I got.I started at 35 yards on the first shot and it was hitting a touch high but it was straight so I moved back to 50 and it was dead on the second shot without any sight adjustments.Fired a 3rd and 4th and got a 1 inch group.Moved back to 75 yards and fired 3 more and got a 2 inch group...not to bad for me especially since it was my first time shooting a ML'er.I absoluetly love my muzzloader now.Im hooked for life I think .The kick on the gun was more of a slow push and was not really noticeable.I cleaned it every 2 shots and didnt let it cool down between shots.I probly could have got better groups if I let it cool down and adjusted the sights a little but its good enough for me right now(tommorows our 2nd shotgun season and im using my accura)Cleanup was easier than I thought it would be too.Sorry no pics but next time I go out shooting I will definatley take some pictures.
Now go get a Deer and break in your ACCURA. One thing ogg, remember you have to use exactly the same load, bullets and even primers as you have been to keep your ML shooting where it is now. If you change just primers is can make a difference in impact. So when possible and if you like what your shooting stock up on what you use so you'll have them.
Just dont stock up on powder or pellets as they can go bad. I usually only keep powder and pellets for up to 2 years, then refresh, or even every year. Also date you powder or pellets from date of purchase so you know how old they are.
Keep powder and pellets in a cool dry place, not too cold and not too hot to hlep avoid them from pickung up mositure. I like around 65-70 degrees topps for storage.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.