Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What would you do?????? >

What would you do??????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What would you do??????

Old 12-09-2009, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

put meat in the freezer
Old 12-09-2009, 03:46 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

the weather during or firearms season has sucked breechplug,i'm about 150mi. east of you.maybe after this storm our luck will change.my attitude has already changed to freezer fillin' time as i still have a buck tag and 2 antlerless tags left.good luck!!...........karl
Old 12-09-2009, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess Im gonna take your advice on this one, fill the freezer. Last night I had 7 different Does go by me, I had the Hammer pulled back 5 times and the crosshairs on brodside mature Does at distances from 15-40yds and never took one of them! I know, I should have......Today were getting that Storm that a-lot of you's have already had, the winds most be blowing about 60mph++ right now and Im actually a little scared. Our house is surrounded by about 22 pine trees and 1 Blue Spruce that is about 40ft high and there rockin bad, I cant believe none of them have come down! Plus all the other trees in our yard, maples, japaneese locost, oak, apple, english walnut, ect ect. I dont think I have ever seen the wind blow this hard!!!
This is definately a day to remember and I hope anyone that is going through this will come out of it with no damage.
Thank's guys for the input, I was on the phone with a few Hunting Buddies in our group and they all agree with you's, were gonna fill some freezers, I'll let you's know how the rest of the season goe's.
(BP)
Old 12-09-2009, 03:51 AM
Spike

Meat in the freezer at this point is the most important thing this late. Cant eat the rack, gets some does in there. I am in the same situation, passing on a few smaller doe this year because I thought it would pay off. We here in Michigan have until the 21st for ML and then a late doe after that, so I have time but if those smaller doe show themselves, they are going down!
Old 12-09-2009, 04:02 AM
Spike

I ONLY shoot does and usually a mature one but a young one as long as it isn't all bones is fine. I am a meat hunter and the does taste so much better. That said i would save my buck tag just in case a really big rack came along. I have all the racks from my yougher years on the wall. Age plays into things for me. Nobody goes into the meat market and says give me the oldest old steer you have. Same way with a doe or young chicken or whatever meat. Young does are the best. Take them first for the freezer and watch for the big big buck. good luck. remember the storm is coming. I got my 3 early and started to wish maybe i could still go out until this large storm came in. Glad i don't have an empty freezer now. good luck and take what comes along now.

Last edited by his guzzi; 12-09-2009 at 04:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2009, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

Make meat. A roast tastes better than a rack. You have enough tags you can do both. Good luck to ya.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

Your MZ tag is either sex.Shoot anything that will put meat in the freezer now and use the MZ tag for a trophy. By the way,a small one is just like veal. You need a change once in a while from "beef" In Maine they call them "Lambs"

Charlie
Old 12-09-2009, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

With the amount of tags you have left, I'd say "if its brown it's down". Except fawns. I just can't bring myself to killing them anymore, It's just not enjoyable for me.