Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Powerbelt 245 gr. Question >

Powerbelt 245 gr. Question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelt 245 gr. Question

Old 12-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Spike

Default Powerbelt 245 gr. Question

Guys, took a nice doe tonight with my CVA Optima. Awesome hunt but have a question about the "thumping" power of this bullet or pyrodex. So a bit of info about the shot.

55 to 60 yards, she was quartering to me. Shot right above the left shoulder, enough angle to smoke her sholder, hit the top of heart and lungs (no guts Yee Haw), she went 30 yards and dropped. The bullet did not exit!

I thought for sure from this distance it would of went through. Like I said, a 245 gr Aerotip and 100 gr of pyrodex pellets. I dont want to be picky, I did bag her, but it was suprising. Now, where it struck the other side of her in the ribs, is wasted but not through. Maybe her sholder slowed it down that much? This is only my second deer with my CVA, the first was with a T/C shockwave that shattered on me but it was also a farther shot.

Should I go to 150 gr of powder with a 295 gr bullet for more stopping power? Am I overestimating the thump? Thanks in advance.... Steve
Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by steveb76

Should I go to 150 gr of powder with a 295 gr bullet for more stopping power? Am I overestimating the thump? Thanks in advance.... Steve
Congratulations on your harvest Steve.

If you plan to use powerbelt I'd go with the 295 or heavier. The 405 is an excellent choice. As for 150 grains of powder. Way more than you need. With the 295 I think 80 grains is ideal and with the 405 80 grains is some serious thump.

I wouldn't attempt quartering to shots with the 245 powerbelt. This worked out very well for you but you most certainly will not get pass through with 100 grains on a frontal shot. Too much energy dissipated at the surface at that velocity. Less is more with all lead hollow points. An xtp, gold dot, etc shot in a sabot would be a better choice for frontal shots.

Thanks for the report and if you can, post some picks of the recovered bullet and the carcass showing the damage.

Last edited by Pglasgow; 12-06-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slow 'em down, they'll work like they're supposed to.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve,

What did you strike in her shoulder? Did you strike bone? Scapula, humorus?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Powerbelts also only I use a 295 Grain Hollow Point. I also shoot 100 grains of Pryodex pellets. I've killed 3 deer with this combo and shot a 4th. The 4th we think I hit high after seeing the blood where it rubbed against tree's. We never could find the deer. I knocked it down when I shot but then it jumped up and ran off. I really was bothered by this and and thinking about trying a new bullet next year.

Out of the other 3 I got a pass through one one which was a small doe that weighed about 80 lbs. Just small in general. I probably shot it about 80-100 yards. It ran maybe 15-20 yards and fell. Didn't see any blood until I got to the deer. I saw her as she ran through the field and fell in the middle though.

The other two one being a decent sized 6 point buck I shot from about 20 yards away. Hit it and it expanded when it hit. I hit just a hair low. Maybe an inch or so but a decent shot. It expanded when it hit and had a huge entrance hole. Probably 2-3" entrance hole. It did pass through but was on the other side of the deer. Seemed like you could see it. This deer made it maybe 100 yards or so before falling. However, it was lots and I mean lots of blood every couple feet leading to the deer.

The other one I shot was a pretty big 8 pointer at around 136 yards. I had a perfect shot in the lung area. It made it about 10-15 yards and fell and couldn't get back up. I shot it again as I didn't want it to suffer. It didn't have much of a blood trail either but the deer didn't make it far. The first shot didn't make it through either. It pushed the skin out on the other side but it didn't make it through the skin. The second shot I shot in the spine area as that's the only shot I could get. I was probably 15 yards from it this time. Expanded very well but didn't pass through either. Went down through it though so I didn't expect it to.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Pglasgow
Congratulations on your harvest Steve.

If you plan to use powerbelt I'd go with the 295 or heavier. The 405 is an excellent choice. As for 150 grains of powder. Way more than you need. With the 295 I think 80 grains is ideal and with the 405 80 grains is some serious thump.

I wouldn't attempt quartering to shots with the 245 powerbelt. This worked out very well for you but you most certainly will not get pass through with 100 grains on a frontal shot. Too much energy dissipated at the surface at that velocity. Less is more with all lead hollow points. An xtp, gold dot, etc shot in a sabot would be a better choice for frontal shots.

Thanks for the report and if you can, post some picks of the recovered bullet and the carcass showing the damage.

Thanks for the congrats.

Me really not studying how the powder works in relation to the weight of the bullet, I guess I am overestimating. I would of thought a 405 gr bullet would need more powder. My eyes are slowly opening in relation to powder/bullet combo. My buddy swears by using 300 gr bullet with 150 gr powder. To each their own I guess. Thanks for the info, I will obviously wait to try anything else until next season. By the way, couldnt find the bullet, it may have came out when I was field dressing (dark out) but I will get some photos of the entry and the rib cavity to show the damage.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Pglasgow
Steve,

What did you strike in her shoulder? Did you strike bone? Scapula, humorus?
Not sure what is what in there.....lol, me being a layman, I would call it the shouder blade.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Powerbelts have a reputation for coming apart when shot with stout charges (around 100 gr), particularly if the shot is close. For the bullet to work well, they should not be pushed too hard. That's why 80 gr is preferred. That's still plenty of power for deer.

If you want to try a similar bullet that seems to handle 100 gr of powder and above, try Hornady FPBs. Passthroughs are the norm, and I've shot deer from 40 yds out to 90 yds.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by steveb76
Not sure what is what in there.....lol, me being a layman, I would call it the shouder blade.
I think that would surprise alot of people here. Were there fragments?

Last edited by Pglasgow; 12-07-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

drop it down to 70-80gr and it will do fine. Sounds like it did the job so its kind of hard to fix whats not broke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.