Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
opps now that might be a proplem. >

opps now that might be a proplem.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

opps now that might be a proplem.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default opps now that might be a proplem.

I got a little issue. Now if tomorrow was a hunting day and not a target day it would be a big issue. I think my muzzleloader might be loaded. SInce i went out last week. Now i worried at first till i thought it was not going to be a hunt i would be ok. Just fire it and see if it is loaded if not i can check to see if i flinch. As i will not know if it is loaded or not. What would you do if a hunt was the next day and you where not sure. I have a triumph could i hold it barrel end down and take out the breech plug and reinsert it if it is loaded without moving the powder.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Spike

Iam no expert but I would remove the breach plug and if it is loaded get the powder out push the bullet out and reload.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do as most would, put your ram rod in the barrel and see how much is sticking out the end of it, you should be able to remember how the ram rod looks in your loaded ML. If in dout pull the Breechplug and do the Manufactures recommended stepd for removing a loaded barrel.
What I do and have always done is put a pice of Masking Tape over the end of My ML Barrel to keep out moisture, when fired there's no guessing if it has a charge in it or not. But from now on put a mark on your Ram Rod when it's loaded, with the Ram Rod sticking out the end of your loaded barrel, (UN PRIMERED) take a knife or something similar to etch a mark where the Ram Rod meets the top part of your barrel, from now on you'll never have to guess again.
(BP)
Old 12-06-2009, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Do as most would, put your ram rod in the barrel and see how much is sticking out the end of it, you should be able to remember how the ram rod looks in your loaded ML. If in dout pull the Breechplug and do the Manufactures recommended stepd for removing a loaded barrel.
What I do and have always done is put a pice of Masking Tape over the end of My ML Barrel to keep out moisture, when fired there's no guessing if it has a charge in it or not. But from now on put a mark on your Ram Rod when it's loaded, with the Ram Rod sticking out the end of your loaded barrel, (UN PRIMERED) take a knife or something similar to etch a mark where the Ram Rod meets the top part of your barrel, from now on you'll never have to guess again.
(BP)
Good suggestions, however, if you have not ever marked the ramrod it is pretty easy to check from the breech end about how long your breechplug is so you should be able to estimate approximately (within a quarter inch or so) where the end of the plug should be from the outside of the barrel. Then lay your ramrod on the side and mark the end of the barrel. Once that is done drop the ramrod in and see if it lines up with the mark or if it is about an inch plus off. With any load the powder and bullet column will be over an inch long. Depending on loose powder or pellets removing the breechplug will pretty much mess up the powder so cleaning will be required. Powder will get into the threads and any grease that is in there.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's that big of a deal just push the load out and start over.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by B BAKER
Iam no expert but I would remove the breach plug and if it is loaded get the powder out push the bullet out and reload.
what he said