Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cva kodiak

Old 12-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cva kodiak

I have a CVA Kodiak pro magnum in .45 cal. What's the best bullet grain/ powder pellet grain comination for hunting whitetail deersots ranging from 50-100 yds with open sights. currently using 777 powder 45/50 powder pellets with a 195 or 225 grain powerbelt bullet.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Banned

try the 275gr powerbelts with Three 30gr pellets, http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...belt-kill.html

You can always switch to loose powder too as its much cheaper!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want to stick with Powerbelts, I'd use either the 275 grain hollowpoint or 300 grain Platinum with 2 pellets (if you want to stick with pellets). I'd highly recommend switching to loose powder if you want to get the best performance and accuracy out of your Kodiak. With loose powder, I would use 70 - 80 grains with either Powerbelt I mentioned.

For the ranges you are describing, another good option would be the 200 grain Hornady XTP with 2 pellets or 80 - 90 grains of powder.

I get the best accuracy with the 200 grain SST and 90 - 100 grains of powder, but at the ranges you will be hunting, this type of load is not really necessary.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gonna copy and paste a little piece I wrote:

Accuracy is not up to what the shooter wants to load their gun up with. The gun chooses the load. By this, I mean it is necessary to experiment with different bullets and the powder charges you are shooting them with. Your gun might like one bullet with 70gr powder, and another with 100gr powder. When you get a new gun, you should have its "sweet spot" found. By purchasing a few different kinds of bullets and shooting them all at different powder charges, you can find out which load performs best. Usually, shooters are recommended to start at about 70 or 80gr charges (depending on the powder being used) and to go up in 5 or 10gr increments until the best accuracy is found.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

Anybody got any other thoughts or recipes regarding the .45 cal muzzle loader???