Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

blackhorn 209

Old 12-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of people are paying a dollar or more for good bullets and even some for for Power Belts which do not fall in the top ten of many peoples list; I do not understand why so many people fuss about the price of a powder that is clearly to me any way much better than the others. And while it does work extremely well with heavy bullets by understanding it and applying the principles of using a progressive burning powder I have gotten 2400fps with a 200gr bullet AND gotten 3/4 inch groups at the same time. I have not seen anyone do that with any other powder in a muzzle loader except the smokeless which is not appicable to subs. I have trouble believing that people enjoy scrubbing the barrel between shots as some say they do. I personelly believe you get just what you pay for with Pyrodex and Blackhorn but I certanly don't like paying to scrub the barrel every shot.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Phil...

Yep! and General Dynamics loves that attitude. Compare the price of BH to a bottle of 5744 a slow burning Smokeless Progressive buring powder. There is even a powder produced by IMR that has the same holes, same shape and it much cheaper and come in 16 oz's. (the IMR number escapes at the moment) Problem being it is faster and stronger.
BH209 is smokeless powder. Its yield on grain weight basis is comparable to slow burning smokeless powders. But it burns faster and has less potential. I know it burns faster because it can still propel light bullets at decent velocities at low weights. The main difference between BH209 and other smokeless powders is that BH209 is made for muzzleloaders and is approved my state's DOW for use during muzzleloading season. That has value also. To use the other "cheaper" smokeless powders would be illegal in my state. BH209 is a substitute for blackpowder.

Last edited by Pglasgow; 12-05-2009 at 08:18 PM.