Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What Ya Think?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default What Ya Think?

Just got a new Traditions Yukon muzzleloader for my daughter.Just wondering if this load I'm going to try in it will be alright for her.
Going to use a 250 gn Shockwave pushed by bout 90 gns of Black horn 209 I just got also with a Remington STS 209 primer.Figuring should be a good load to start her out on and most of her shots are going to be 100 yds or less.Anyway what ya all think?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Dominant Buck

That should work fine if the primer is a hot one. Never used them primers before. But that should be a hard hitting accurate load for that rifle.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

how do you like the drop breech on it? let us know how the muzzleloader works out. i wanted to try one of these . they also make a youth model.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

like the drop breech design.easy loading a primer in it even with a scope on it.As for a youth model didnt know Traditions made a youth model.Its a full size stock on it being she is 16.She handles my Omega pretty good so time for 1 of her own.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

90 gr's of Blackhorn 209 should be pleanty, you could even go less. In My Wifes ACCURA I have her set up with 70gr's of Pyro and a 240gr XTP mag and Win 209 Primers, it's a smooth shooting combo and should be plenty enough to take down a Deer at distances up to 100yds. My Wife just had Carpel Tunnel Surgery so she's not Hunting This Season and has'nt had a chance to try Her New ACCURA with this load combo, but with any luck she may get out for our Late Season ML Hunt and I'll let everyone know how this load works for her.
Success to you and your Daughter and let us know how she makes out.
(BP)
Old 12-02-2009, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you going to scope it? If so, you might want to consider detachable rings. Otherwise you can't get the drop-breech or whatever it's called out completely to clean it. A buddy of mine learned that the hard way.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TNHagies
Are you going to scope it? If so, you might want to consider detachable rings. Otherwise you can't get the drop-breech or whatever it's called out completely to clean it. A buddy of mine learned that the hard way.

I put a 3x9x40 simmons on it with see thru mounts on it.They are detachable so shouldnt be any problem there.Am looking for a set of better sights to replace to cheap plastic ones on it.Found some on truglo website i like but they fit CVAs going to call them today to see what they have for it.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Well did some shooting and sighting in the daughter's gun.started out with 90 grn of blackhorn behind 250 shockwave.group wasnt to bad,2 1/2 at 100 yds.bumped up to 100 grns.group opened up some so i dropped down to 80 grns.the group shrank down to 1 1/2 at 100 yds. backed the target out to 200 yds and aimed right at the top edge of a paper plate.Had a 5 shot 4 1/2 inch group on the bottom edge of the plate.I would post pics of the groups but cant find my cable to hook the camera to the puter to down load.when I find it i'll download and post.By the way the Remington STS primers I'm using,worked great.fired 25 shots and no misfires
Old 12-12-2009, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nys-buckstalker
Well did some shooting and sighting in the daughter's gun.started out with 90 grn of blackhorn behind 250 shockwave.group wasnt to bad,2 1/2 at 100 yds.bumped up to 100 grns.group opened up some so i dropped down to 80 grns.the group shrank down to 1 1/2 at 100 yds. backed the target out to 200 yds and aimed right at the top edge of a paper plate.Had a 5 shot 4 1/2 inch group on the bottom edge of the plate.I would post pics of the groups but cant find my cable to hook the camera to the puter to down load.when I find it i'll download and post.By the way the Remington STS primers I'm using,worked great.fired 25 shots and no misfires
nys-buckstalker,

Its great to hear you are introducing your daughter to muzzleloading. You'll make alot of great memories at the range and in the field.

Win 209's were not reliable for me in my Win Apex. If I can find them I'll give REM STS a try. As to the powder, I was going to suggest 80 grains but it looks like you discovered it. You have to love BH209. There is a 25% reduction in recoil in-spite of the better velocities (with respect to blackpowder) and no swabbing As mild as that load is ... it still delivers over 800 ft lbs at 200 yards.

Last edited by Pglasgow; 12-12-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

nys-buckstalker
I see a lot of good advice here, I guess the only thing I might add is that the 90 gr load with the 200gr SW has been what I have use for a starting load for my kids and grand kids, and the recoil is considerably less while the velocity is higher and that load works very well on deer and boar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.