Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Breechplug breaks in his ACCURA >

Breechplug breaks in his ACCURA

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breechplug breaks in his ACCURA

Old 11-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Breechplug breaks in his ACCURA

Well I had to harvest a Deer with My new ACCURA, our Hunting Season here in N.Y. opened on the 21st Of November and we have had nothing but warm weather and rain, not good for Deer movement.
On Thanksgiving Morning I was Hunting My Buddies property in Stockton N.Y. about 225 acres with a huge swamp on the property, it's in Ski Country (Snow Belt) and also Amish Country. Anyway with NO deer movement I decided to take a walk, something I dont usually do as we dont like to move and get the Deer spooky, we sit and let them move on there own so the BIG Bucks dont go Nocternal and hide in the Swamp for the entire season.
I took a walk to the edge of the swamp surrounded by a woods full of Hemlock trees, as I got near the edge I snapped a twig, the swamp exploded with deer. I could hear them running through the water but I could'nt see them as the swamp grass is about 8 feet high, but it sounded like a herd of them.
Some deer ran accross the swamp some this way and that way and some ran into the Hemlocks where I was standing. There were a few small Bucks, and a larger 8 Pointer and some Big Does and Fawns. I yelled Hey! and all the deer stopped and looked around, I quickly scoped the 8 pointer, but he was'nt one of the Bigger Bucks I had seen during Archery Season so I passed on him and quickly picked out a Big Swamp Doe.
The Doe was about 50yds brodside, I quickly put the crosshairs on her lungs and fired. She ran about 40yds and piled up, a perfect double lung shot that went through her.
I usually let My Wife Fill the Freezer with meat, but she could only Hunt Opening day as two days later she had to go for Carpel Tunnel Surgery, and since she had no luck on Opening Day I get her Doe Management Tag (In New York you can legally transfer your (DMP) Doe Management Permit to another Hunter. So I filled her tag for her, she's bumed she cant hunt anymore this season.
The Doe weighed 136lbs dressed and was 4 1/2 years Old, a wise old girl for sure. The ACCURA did it's job and I finally got to use it on a Deer to break er in.
Also Thank's to Mike (Sabotlaoder) for posting the pic for me. It should follow soon.
Ron (BP)
Old 11-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Banned

awesome! What load was used?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Here is your picture....

But you got her all bloody....
Old 11-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shame on you Breechplug, stealing your wife's tag like that. No, wait - try this: That was mighty nice of you Breechplug, filling your wife's tag for her.

Congrats on a successful hunt.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
awesome! What load was used?
MD, I used a 240gr XTP Mag with 100gr's of Pyro with a T7 Primer. The XTP made jello of her lungs and did it's job well. I forgot to tell everyone we did'nt bring the 4 wheeler that day so I had to drag the deer almost a mile and a half to the Trucks! With no snow that was a job! That's why I look so happy in the pic. But the ol man survived the drag, snow would have helped. We have a Lake Effect Snow Storm moving in over Lake Erie tonight, a half a foot of snow is expected. The Lake Erie temp is 44 degrees, the warmest for november at this date in 75 years. So with the Canadian cold front moving in over the warm water of the lake gonna really kick in the snow machine, and another Lake Effect Snow Storm is comming this Thursday so were gonna get some SNOW and the Deer will be moving, Im excited! Hope to follow with a pic of a nice Buck.
(BP)
Old 11-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice fat doe for the table, congratulations.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go in there and snap another twig!

Nice doe, good work.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats nice doe
Old 12-01-2009, 03:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the big doe. That XTP bullet did a really good job for you.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funny, from the thread title I thought that someone actually broke a breechplug in the gun trying to remove it.

Nice deer though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.