Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Primer Fit & Blowback >

Primer Fit & Blowback

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Primer Fit & Blowback

Old 11-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Primer Fit & Blowback

I've seen a couple of posts recently about primer fit and blowback, and got to wondering if I'm the only guy that adjusts the breechplug for a tight seal.

I use teflon tape on my plug, and screw the plug in against the stop. Then I put a primer in and close the action. If it closes easily, I open the action and back the plug out 1/8 turn, then close it again. I keep doing that until it will no longer close. Then I turn the plug in 1/8 turn so the action closes tightly against the primer. The tight fit really reduces blowback.

Does anyone else do this?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Endeavor has the Speed Breech XT which has ZERO blowback. So I don't need to adjust anything.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

I do have somewhat of a problem with that, and maybe it is all in my mind. But it is my feeling that if a plug is loose - it has movement - maybe not much but it has movement. I think anything that is suppose to hold pressure should be snug to tight. Anything that is allowed to work back and forth will work and any time sumoething can work it is subject to failure either from metal fatigue or pressure constantly pounding the plug back against the threads....

Guess I am old and haver just been around machinery and mechanics to long... Probably nothing wrong with what you are suggesting - I just could not do it.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

I adjusted my Omega for a tight lockup and I have no blowback at all.My last inline was a Rem 700ML.You want to see blowback? That it why I bought the Omega(at least one of the reasons)

Charlie
Old 11-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hear you Sabotloader, but I can't see a problem. Actually, I do this with the Mustang. The plug doesn't have any "wiggle" when it's backed out (just a tad - probably a little more than 1/8 turn from fully seated) and, after all, the plug/primer are tight against a solid steel breech face so I don't see how it could be pounding the threads. I don't bother with the X7. It's so clean that I just snug the plug against the stop.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Have a H&R Sidekick (huntsman), no, zero, nadda blow back.
Bought an after market Breech plug for $28.00
it has an O ring in the bottom of the primer carrier hole, the primer is a couple thousands proud when you drop it in, closing the action "squashes" it into the o ring.
The O rings are from Lowes 2.99 for 100.

Love this gun
Old 12-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I've seen a couple of posts recently about primer fit and blowback, and got to wondering if I'm the only guy that adjusts the breechplug for a tight seal.

I use teflon tape on my plug, and screw the plug in against the stop. Then I put a primer in and close the action. If it closes easily, I open the action and back the plug out 1/8 turn, then close it again. I keep doing that until it will no longer close. Then I turn the plug in 1/8 turn so the action closes tightly against the primer. The tight fit really reduces blowback.

Does anyone else do this?
Interesting! One of those threads was probably mine on MM. I'll certainly try that because I may be able to get more out of my worn plug that is more accurate then a new plug. I would have thought that would cause more of a gap in the action having the reverse affect.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Cajun, if you try it let us know how it works for you.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Semisane, as mentioned in my thread, I use the T7 Primers in My SS/Camo ACCURA and they fit loose in the Breechplug wich causes me blowback, would a small pice of teflon tape on the primer work to tighten the fit of the primer in the breechplug?
There is a good fit between the primer and firing pin so no need to adjust or back out the breechplug, or in my case I can even back out the firing pin screw on my ACCURA. In My SS/Bk ACCURA I use Win W209 Primers, they fit tight in the breechplug, so that combo is O.K. I may just change to Win 209 Primers in my SS/Camo ACCURA after the Season, but I have about 7 or 8 packages of the T7 Primers so that would be a waste of about 800 primers, plus they work good as there not too hot and they are a tad longer for a good fit, but they are thin in the BP.
As Sabotloader mentioned the (slack) or (looseness) by backing out the BP may cause problems down the road with the excessive pressure against a slightly loose BP might happen, he may be right. But the BP's do have a-lot of threads on them and if you do just loosen the BP out just a 1/4 turn, it should'nt matter as the BP is still tight, especially if you use Teflon Tape on it. So who know's what will happen in the long run with a 1/4 turn backed out BP for a better fit for the primer. Let us know if you experience any problems with this down the road.
For now Im gonna try some Teflon Tape on My T7 Primer's fit in the BP and see if that solves the problem of Blowback.
(BP)
Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Using teflon tape on the primer sounds like a real hassle Breechplug. I think it would be pretty difficult to get the tape to stay in place while inserting the primer, and if you did get it in place you may end up having to pick the tape out of the primer seat between each shot. Let us know how that works for you.

I would not back out the firing pin screw. Backing out the breech plug pushes the primer against the breech face, creating a tight seal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.