Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

185 grain Lehigh

Old 11-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 185 grain Lehigh

Hey, a couple quick questions for anyone that has used these. First of all, has anyone shot these out of a 1-28" twist barrel? If so, how good did they group, and with what kind of powder charges?

Second, does anyone know the BC of this bullet?

Third, does anyone have more info about the minimum velocity you need for it to function properly? I looked on Lehigh's website, and they mention 1,500 fps and up- but they don't specify if that means muzzle velocity or impact velocity.

I'm just wondering because they look very interesting to me, and I'm considering trying them out, but just want more info before I go out and spend $40 on them. They are pretty reasonably priced for a premium bullet, though - and from all reports I've seen are devastating on game. Thanks in advance for all replies.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldsmellhound

185 grain Lehigh - I have shot a bunch of them... they are a re-disigned .40/200 grain built to be shot in a 1/28 twist. They do shoot very well from my Triumph and DISC.

The calculated (mathematical) BC is only .155, but believe me they fly better than that. I believe Grouse has actually ran the ballistics on them but I am not sure what he found.

Also remember Lehigh offers a sample pack for you to try... think it is $12.

1500 fps is the number... but also remember if you are less than that the bullet will still open and act as a normal expanding HP. If the petals are bent beyond 40 degress they will break but up till them they just flower. And that number is a the POI.

I did shoot a nice buck @ 77 yards with the bigger .458/275 grain Lehigh, it was a neck shot. Lehigh Dave had assured me that the bullet only needs 2" of animal to open and after the neck shot i believe it...

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-28-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those velocities are always impact velocities, muzzle velocity is not important unless you're putting it up against the animal ;D

Don't be too disinfranchised by a .155 BC, very few ML bullets are truly over .2. I'd have to look at my notes but I believe I back-calculated .2 or .21 for the 200SW, and it's one of the best BC out there. Most manufacturers way over-inflate these for ML bullets.

It's not going to be a long-range bullet but I'm sure it makes a wonderful light-recoiling normal range load.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess the only thing that I'm not crazy about is the low BC. It shouldn't matter out to 120 yards or so, but I have the opportunity for a lot of long shots, and prefer a bullet that allows me to shoot out to at least 175 yards. I still may buy the trial pack here at some point just to try them out...
Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are much better options to use for 175 yds...I don't know much about the characteristics of the brass but I would be concerned that low-velocity performance may not be as good as a comparable lead-based design due to the hardness.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

oldsmellhound

I have not done as much shooting with the 185's as I have the 200 grain.

There certainly would be a little difference but not much between the ballistics of the two.

Here is a ballistic sheet for the 185 shot across my chrono with a 120 grains of T7-2f

This is from a 50 cal Triumph, which shot them great by the way.

I also shoot a 45 cal Knight DISC which has even a slower twist rate 1/30 than does the Triumph so the 200 should not perform as well in the accuracy department - but it shoots them great... As you can see this is with 110 grains of T7-2f. Ater I shot these I did not even install a ballistic reticule scope. It is pretty much a point and shoot bullet to 175 yards. I have shoot it to 250 yards at the farm. It flys so much better than the BC indicates, both the 185 and the 200

Old 11-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I'm thinking more and more like I'll stick with either the 200 XTP or 200 SST leaving the muzzle at 2100 fps - they've worked for me this far, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
Old 11-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

oldsmellhound

Certainly nothing worng with the 40/200 XTP - it is an awesome bullet. Really shoots well for me...
Old 11-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
Yeah, I'm thinking more and more like I'll stick with either the 200 XTP or 200 SST leaving the muzzle at 2100 fps - they've worked for me this far, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
The XTP is a great ML bullet.