Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Has the Unusual Weather effected your Hunting? >

Has the Unusual Weather effected your Hunting?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Has the Unusual Weather effected your Hunting?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Has the Unusual Weather effected your Hunting?

I dont know what's up with our Weather here lately, but has your Weather been all screwed up this past year? Here in Western New York we had the (Rainiest, Coldest) Summer in 170 years, we only got into the 80 degree mark a couple of times and it seemed like it rained just about every day.
Now for out Fall, the first three weeks of September were the Hottest nicest weeks we had all Summer, then it cooled off. Now for November we just came off the (the least rain free November), and the (least Snow free November) in over 170 years. Also this November it has been WARM, too warm for November, 60's and high 50's for the temps, the Deer are just not moving untill dark. How about you and where you live?
There's some colder Weather expected by next week with the chance of Snow, but the temps are still gonna be in the High 30's to Low to mid 40's. This really stinks, and to think we live in the Lake Effect Snow Capitol of the U.S., were only about 5 miles off the Lake Erie Shore, were used to Snow and a-lot of it!
(BP)
Old 11-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

We had a good summer but a cold spring, so the crops got in late and are therefore being taken off late. So I had to hunt around hundreds of acres of standing corn Yeah, it was messed up big time.

That and when I went to Montana I was told they'd basically not had a fall, unusually cold. Had a hard time locating the elk and the mule deer that had been everywhere last year were mysteriously absent, even the locals noticed that they'd moved out of there normal haunts early.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its been a bit cooler and much wetter than normal here also the rut started early and ended early. There appears to be more coyote running in the day time to got my second with a bow yesterday.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Down her in Louisiana we had the second wettest October in history. Great for the food plots, but the deer aren't using them much yet because there's still a lot of tender growth in the woods. Everything is green, green, green. Haven't had a frost yet. We need one badly.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Down her in Louisiana we had the second wettest October in history. Great for the food plots, but the deer aren't using them much yet because there's still a lot of tender growth in the woods. Everything is green, green, green. Haven't had a frost yet. We need one badly.
We've only had ONE in Indiana that I can recall, though that will change shortly.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Our . I have not seen a deer
gun season started in Wisconsin saturday temp are 20 to 25 degrees normal than usual changes deer movements and hunting tactics, I have not seen a deer kill is 25 o/o lower than last year. Only ones gettting deer are driving deer.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last deer movement I have seen was 11/04 when I shot an 8 point with my 45 cal.
Other hunters in the lease report limited activity as well,however,the deer that have been killed have all be much bigger,antler wise than last season.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Spike

Yep, same weather situation you describe for NY happened here in SE Michigan (Ann Arbor). My hunting buddy was talking to his friend who processes deer each fall for hunters and normally has processed 300 deer by this time, but this year has processed less than 100. Of course, with the economy like it is might account for some of the decrease, but not that much. Come on cold weather and snow!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It has affected my hunting for the better. It's been cold here lately and it really has the deer moving.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

i bowhunted in the rain,sleet and snow in the mtns of virginia in October. Blackpowder came in Nov 1 and rifle 2 weeks later. i had the last 2 weeks off. i hunted in temps that were 45 in the morning and 70-75 in the afternoon. this is by far the least amount of deer i have ever seen in a hunting season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.