Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
patched round ball w/1:28 twist question. >

patched round ball w/1:28 twist question.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

patched round ball w/1:28 twist question.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default patched round ball w/1:28 twist question.

A crazy thought has been going through my head while at work of trying to find a round ball load for my .45cal CVA Kodiak Pro. Would the round balls work spinning that fast or would the fly off to god only knows where.

Pat
Old 11-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BOYWONDER
A crazy thought has been going through my head while at work of trying to find a round ball load for my .45cal CVA Kodiak Pro. Would the round balls work spinning that fast or would the fly off to god only knows where.

Pat
My Omega will shoot RB fairly well if I keep the speed down. I had a box of Pyro pellets to get rid of,and the kids had a ball shooting with one pellet out to about 45 yds.
Charlie
Old 11-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

the rule of thumb is round balls for 1:66 twist and 1:48 use maxi/mini balls any thing tighter is modern sabots
Old 11-22-2009, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

I have a round ball formula that seems to actually work. I don't know where it came from but have had it for years. The forrmula is for using GOEX 3-f and PRB. This is a starting load.

caliber X rate of twist X 2

Example: .45 x 28 x 2 = 28gr

As I said, using this formula I would start at 30 gr with your rifle. This works for me on everything from my little .32 to my .58.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

I stand corrected, I hit a wrong key. The correct answer got the example is 25gr.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is an other formula which is the one my Grandfather taught me
"one grain per caliber as a starting point and go up 5 grains at a time until the group opens up" I know this works well for me with every twist from 1-80 to 1-38 I have not tried it on 1-28 but would expect it to work. Lee
Old 11-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

It's just an idea going through my head at work, something to try during the winter to see it I could find a PRB load for deer.