Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New York's Opening Day Today! >

New York's Opening Day Today!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New York's Opening Day Today!

Old 11-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New York's Opening Day Today!

Well it's Finally here, Opening Day of New Yorks Shot-Gun Season. Im so Pumped I cant stand it. It was a slepless night and it's almost time to head off. My Wife is getting ready as we speak the gear is all ready and the Weather is good.
I know most or some of you have already had this years experience with the new opener, but for us Opening Day is much more than Harvesting a Quality Animal. It's a Celebration of another year in the Whitetails's woods and another year God let us live to see another Opening Day. But most of all we get to see our old Friends and share memories of the Hunt and just be togeather, that's the best gift of Opening Day, if we get to Harvest a Buck that's just the topping on the cake.
What's Opening Day mean to you's? Well Wish me and My Wife A Safe and Successful Day and we Wish all of you the same and with God's will I'll post a follow-up of todays Hunt.
All Our Best!
Ron (BP)
Old 11-21-2009, 02:55 AM
Spike

Good luck and safe hunting!
Old 11-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

First year in 5 that I have missed opening day NY season. Steubin Co is my favorite. Won't get to hunt NY this year due to starting a new job in Sept. I will be there next year. Good luck BP.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well here's a quick follow-up of My Wife and I's Openind Day.......let a few small Bucks walk hoping for the 2 Big One's I saw during Archery Season. One of the Neighbor's friends from PA hit a nice buck and it came onto our property. Neighbor called and asked if they could track the buck.
Well we cant stand to let a wounded Deer go untracked so we said yes, even though we knew this would screw things up, and boy did it! I even helped out in the search with 5 of there guy's as My Wife stayed in the blind. Needless to say we never found the Buck, blood trail ran out, no snow, it went into the swamp and the rest of the day my Wife and I never saw another deer, I knew that was gonna happen.
Day 2, WARM! 60 degrees and Sunny, no deer movement. Plus Im sure there was enough scent from us guy's yesterday that it did'nt help the matter much, and Im sure by now the Big Bucks I was after are hiding in the Swamp and nocternal for the rest of the season.
Day 3 today......who know's as Im just getting ready to leave. Our Weather forcast for the rest of the week, Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain & Snow, Rain & Snow, so it's not looking too good for the next full week. I guess it's better than last year as after the first day of Pouring rain it Snowed and Snowed and Snowed and we got 3'+ and could'nt Hunt the Property for the rest of the Season.
So if it can go wrong it will. But I still have till Dec 23'd and Im not giving up yet!
(BP)
Old 11-23-2009, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

I remember that snow. We had it up here too. Our hunt is only a week long and we saw nothing. The deer just lay low in the swamps.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

That was a tough call Breechplug, but you did the right thing (good folks usually do). But DANG - why did it have to happen on opening day!!!