Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Solid Stainless Barrel VS non Stainless >

Solid Stainless Barrel VS non Stainless

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Solid Stainless Barrel VS non Stainless

Old 11-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

Stainless barrels may be slightly rougher inside when received as stainless steel is more difficult to machine than standard carbon steel. Depending on the method of rifling it can result in some microscopic roughness that would not occur in carbon steel. Stainless barrels can require longer breakin due to this situation. It is however much more resistant to corrosion. As far as T/C I don't think the weathershield barrels are stainless. I believe it was a decision to use the weathershield coating instead of making the barrels stainless. I think they are all standard carbon steel. When I refer to carbon steel I mean the Chrome moly type of steel that is commonly used to manufacture rifle barrels other than the stainless varieties.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MLKeith
Stainless barrels may be slightly rougher inside when received as stainless steel is more difficult to machine than standard carbon steel. Depending on the method of rifling it can result in some microscopic roughness that would not occur in carbon steel. Stainless barrels can require longer breakin due to this situation. It is however much more resistant to corrosion. As far as T/C I don't think the weathershield barrels are stainless. I believe it was a decision to use the weathershield coating instead of making the barrels stainless. I think they are all standard carbon steel. When I refer to carbon steel I mean the Chrome moly type of steel that is commonly used to manufacture rifle barrels other than the stainless varieties.
Yes, the TC WeatherShield Barrels are Carbon Steel. As far as the SS Barrels being (rougher) inside, mabey other Barrel Manufactures are but the Bergara SS Barrels like the one on My ACCURA goes through a 3 step barrel polishing process.
Most other barrel manufactures move directly from the (deep hole drilling) to the (rifling process) Not Bergara, their barrels pass through three seperate (honing spindiles) These honing spindles ultilize (Diamond tipped bits) that polish the barrel's (interior surface) to a mirror like finish, with a (groove diameter deveation) of less than 8/1,000 or (.008mm)
This is the same process many gunsmiths accomplish by (Hand-Lapping) a barrel. And I must say that after a cleaning the SS Bergara Barrel's inside is so shinny and clean and smooth looking that I believe it! Also clean up is a breeze, the fouling just about wipes clean.
(BP)
Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to agree with Keith on stainless when the rifling is cut. As for the bergara barrels, since they are button rifled it wouldn't be a problem if the bores are polished prior to rifling.

My Win Apex and Kodiak Pro do show indications of the milling process but some effort was made to polish out burrs and such as none were present in the new bores. The only other stainless rifle I have owned was a NF Sidekick. Its bore was so rough I could barely load a sabot or a Powerbelt on a clean bore. Pyrodex fouling seemed to help alot with loading. It took over 200 full bore conicals before I felt the bore was broke in. The CVA barrel's however loaded anything I wanted right from the box. The roughness of the Sidekicks bore didn't seem to affect accuracy though ... it was a very good shooter.