Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

2 Genesis 4 deer

Old 11-10-2009, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 2 Genesis 4 deer

A Friend & I both bought a new Genesis last year from Cabala's when they had them on sale.
I got the stainless steel barrel with Grey laminated thumb hole stock.
My Friend got the camo stock with blued barrel.
This year during Iowa early muzzle season was the first year to hunt with them I shot 3 out of the 4 deer.
I used 250 gr. XTP & 100 gr. Black Horn 209.
My Friend used 250 gr. Shock wave & 2 50 gr. 777 pellets

deer # 1 3 point buck. 95 yards facing me straight on neck shot boom flop. recovered bullet just under the skin on opposite side copper jacket was completely separated from the lead.
deer # 2 button buck 60 yards standing broad side double lung shot went right down exit hole was 2 or 3 times bigger than the entrance.
deer # 3 small doe she was straight across a deep ditch from me 40 yards spine shot went right down & rolled into a big patch of thorn bushes. recovered the bullet mushroomed out nice all in one piece.
deer # 4 my Friend shot 30 yards broad side at first he thought he missed the deer after the smoke cleared all he seen was a tail going over the hill after about a hour or so knew there was no way he could have missed at that range. could not find any blood for the first 150 yards then it was only a few drops a 100 yards further it started coming out more deer was found between 350 to 450 yards away. I personally did not see the gut pile but when we skinned the deer it sure looked like it should have hit both lungs. shock wave performance was terrible exit hole was the same size of entrance bullet did not open up.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Stretch,
Congrats to you and your friend. Excellenbt bullet reports, I am assuming that you shot the first three deer.
Can you clarify whether or not your friend was using the bonded or unbonded shockwave?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kathwacckkk
Stretch,
Congrats to you and your friend. Excellenbt bullet reports, I am assuming that you shot the first three deer.

yes with xtp

Can you clarify whether or not your friend was using the bonded or unbonded shockwave?
pretty sure they were bonded
Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Dominant Buck

IMO there is no need for a bonded Shockwave for deer. You want the bullet to expand not to hold together for ever. Bonded I was under the impression was made for thick skin animals where penetration was a problem, like moose, elk, etc.

I have a Genesis also. With many projectiles it is a very accurate rifle, shoulders wonderful, and is a pleasure to clean.

Congratulations to you and your friend. Sounds like your members of the full freezer club...
Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to you both
Old 11-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stretch56
pretty sure they were bonded
I was wrong they were not the bonded shock waves
Old 11-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also killed 2 deer so far this year with my Remington Genesis in camo with the blued barrel I got last year. I used Powerbelt bullets and 2 50 grain Pyrodex pellets. If you guys would like a report I can post one up.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

The more reports the better. Might open up some debate, but I always prefer actually hunter's experiences. Especially from this forum.

I have had great luck with both the PowerBelt and the Shockwaves. I have heard the horro stories, but only great experiences so far.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Sounds like those pistols bullets performed just fine.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I'm shooting 2 50 grain Pyrodex pellets as I said earlier with a 295 grain Powerbelt hollow point bullet. For primers I'm using the Federal Fusion primers. The first deer I shot was a small doe about 80-100 yards. I didn't measure out exactly but it was somewhere around there. Shot right behind the front shoulders. The bullet was a pass through. Had a fairly small hole going in and coming out. The doe ran about 15 yards or so and flopped over. I never saw her move again.

The second one I shot was a spike. I shot him at around 100 yards and also shot right behind the front shoulder. When I shot he fell over flopping around. He then got up after a few seconds and took off running towards the woods. I never saw him again. We tracked him for quite a while. We found blood on a couple tree's he rubbed against but that was it. The guy helping me track it said it looked like I might have hit it high which I may have as I wasn't on a steady rest just a rail of the stand and I'm not the best at keeping it still without sand bags. We never did find him. Only found blood on two tree's and once we got to the thick stuff we couldn't find any blood or any deer. We looked in it for a while and finally had to give up as we couldn't find any signs of him.

The next one I shot was a 6 pointer. He was around 20 yards from me. I aimed right at the bottom of him since I was sighted in for 100 yards. I hit him right in the heart area. It left a huge hole going in. I've never seen it do this. It's like it hit hard and expanded going in. It never made it out the other side but made a huge hole that left a nice blood trail. The deer ran maybe 150 yards or so. Maybe 100 hard to tell since I didn't go directly to him I followed the blood trail. However, there was blood every few feet and I found the deer laying dead at the end of the blood trail.

The only other one I've shot was with this same bullet combo but wasn't in the Remington Genesis. It was in a Marlin and was last year. Same bullet and pellet combo but with a Winchester #11 cap. I shot it around 136 yards. It was a decent sized 8 point buck. It was a shot in the lung area. The bullet didn't leave a huge hole going in like it did this year on the 6 pointer. However, it left a decent hole and the bullet was pushing the skin out on the other side but didn't make it out. The deer ran about 20-30 yards and fell. He couldn't get back up although he looked like he was trying. I didn't want to see him suffer so I reloaded and shot him again from around 20 yards away. This one pretty much exploded inside of him and did huge damage. I shot him in the back this time as it's the only thing I could get a shot at. I recovered both bullets from this one.

These are the recovered bullets

They seem to do their job and are pretty accurate. That's why I've stuck with them. However, I've also thought about switching and trying something else. The biggest thing that worries me about these is it seems like I don't usually get a pass through unless it's something small like the doe where it just goes straight through. On both bucks I've shot and found it wasn't a pass through. The bullet stopped pushing the skin out on the other side. Should I worry about this or should I stick with this combo as long as it keeps dropping deer?