Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
triumph came and i got to shoot it. >

triumph came and i got to shoot it.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

triumph came and i got to shoot it.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default triumph came and i got to shoot it.

well i sit here waiting checking the tracking ever 5 minutes. Then the big brown truck showed up. I run down stairs and out the door like a kid on xmas. The guy went to the house next door then back to his truck. I was thinking he was getting the triumph. He sits down and starts his truck I walked down and he went and got my box then came out saying i almost forgot you. I was thinking no you did but thats ok. I got the gun out and about crap my self. The all camo was deff the way to go. Plus the realtree ap omege scope sets it off. I went out to the range with a friend and got everything ready. First i cleaned the gun. Then i ran some alchole down the barrel to dry out. Shot once down to the left about 6 inchs left 6 low. Then i moved the scope and shot again alittle closer. Then the buddy that went with me said he had to go so he could take the kids he was watching home. / Well that cost me a hour. Took him back home and went back out with my cousin and his step dad. Got about 6 more shots out of it before i ran out of cleaning patches. I think it got close but i was shooting single shots to get it close. GOing to go out tomorrow or wensday and start with groups of 3.
Here are my questions. I have a un open box of black sabot shockwaves. The triumph is hard to load with them and i mean hard. Not to hard i can't deal with it though. Should i just shoot them till i get it sighted in and grouping good or go ahead and try the super glides. All in all a great gun and a good shooting day. Had no trouble besides the loading the speed breech did not stick or cause any proplems. I love this gun. There was a guy there bragging about the night he had and how easy it loaded. He let me shoot it. It was ok but i will stick with the triumph
Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Be sure and read the manual sometime soon.

You could try the EZ glide shock waves as well. The main thing is get used to the rifle. It sounds like your all excited about shooting the rifle, so that's the good thing. Just be safe.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ya might should have read the manual.
. Lol No i need to. Never even thought about it. I can still feel it in my shoulder. ALot more recoil with it then the night with 100 grains. Same brand of powder though
Originally Posted by cayugad
Be sure and read the manual sometime soon.

You could try the EZ glide shock waves as well. The main thing is get used to the rifle. It sounds like your all excited about shooting the rifle, so that's the good thing. Just be safe.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on getting your gun.
I got to shoulder a Triumph today at G.M.
SWEET
So is the Accura
SWEET
Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
Here are my questions. I have a un open box of black sabot shockwaves. The triumph is hard to load with them and i mean hard. Not to hard i can't deal with it though. Should i just shoot them till i get it sighted in and grouping good or go ahead and try the super glides. All in all a great gun and a good shooting day. Had no trouble besides the loading the speed breech did not stick or cause any proplems. I love this gun. There was a guy there bragging about the night he had and how easy it loaded. He let me shoot it. It was ok but i will stick with the triumph

Personally, I think that cayugad gave some great advice... you need to get familiar with the rifle.... with the trigger pull.... the way it points etc etc.

There is no better way of course than to shoot it... and shoot it a lot. I like to practice with a lower powered load, because I can feel myself flinch or jerk the trigger, and because it recoils a lot less too... its easier to make good shots and practice good form every time.

When it comes to straight up shooting practice, heck you can shoot whatever you like out of the gun. But when it comes to dialing it in with a hunting load... you need to practice how you are going to play. I'd try some of the super glides as well as the regular black sabots.... see what the gun likes the best.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Typical Buck

Harvester crush ribs and SW's load easier in mine.
http://harvesterbullets.com/

Last edited by Roger46982; 11-10-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

My plan is to go out this afternoon. shoot Shoot shoot and when i think i am done shoot some more. I got like 25 sabots left. I want to hold onto like 5 for hunting. Heck i should only need one. As i only get a buck tag for gun season and i can not use indianas bonus doe tags on the FWA i hunt. Atleast not for the first 12 days of gun season. Plus i only got till sat till gun season startes
Old 11-10-2009, 04:57 AM
Fork Horn

In my Triumph the 250 grain shockwaves were tight to load. Not difficult, but tight. Tight for me equaled accurate. I tried the superglides and accuracy was non-existent. I shoot 2 pellets of 777. I would stick with the supplied sabot or go to the Harvester's. To many bad reports here on the superglides. I will check tonight and see if I still have some lying around. If I do, I will PM you and send them your way.

If you only have until Saturday, I would shoot like you are going to hunt. Getting groups looks great on paper, but I have never gotten three shots at a deer with a MZ. Personally, I would go through your entire routine (cleaning, loading, etc...) just like you are going to be hunting, one shot at a time. Then concentrate everything on that one shot. Clean the rifle and repeat. Make sure you let the rifle cool in between shots. If you do this and are getting consistent results, then you know you are good for this weekend. Once you have the confidence and knowledge that first shot will hit everytime where you aim... then go ahead and shoot for groups. I know it is tempting to rip off 3 shot groups without the hassel of cleaning, but the results will make this worth it. Keep us informed.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Spike

i tried the T/C super glides with a 250gr XTP and accuracy was not very good.. I switched to the MMP 3 petal (ez load) sabot and accuracy is much, much better..